killapete3

Live Liner/Bait Runner Feature is it worth it?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I don't live line bait too much, but have on occassion and may do more in the future. I see the New Pen Spinfishers will have a live line feature coming out in January. Is it worth the wait? Whats some of your experiences with other reels that have this feature?

i fish eels alot from the boat and its a great feature, works well for chunking too.. i have a shimano 4500.  but u can also do it with a conventional reel with it in freespool and the clicker on.  

It really all depends on the areas and type of fishing you do.

for me, the baitrunner isnt worth it. I can just open my bail and let the bait or plug drift with the current. Even if im using the "bait and wait" method, ill just loosen my drag a little and wait.

Its all pretty much personal preference.

I have a couple of Penn Live Liners and Shimano baitrunners. Great reels. Love the feature for drifting eels on the boat or when I take people fishing that don't go all that often sitting around with bait. Never had a problem with Penn or Shimano.

SIM sums it up...why mess with tightening the drag when you can just crank the handle and have the drag pre-set?

Shimano Baitrunner "B" class are priced right, bullet proof and proven.

Tightening and loosening the drag constantly is a pita with non baitrunner type reels when you want to live line something, much easier with the baitrunner feature. Penns earlier manual secondary drag engagement feature was the best imo but due to public outcry they changed it . I'm convinced the majority never understood the benefits of a manual engagement feature and that's unfortunate. Many looked at it like Penn was being lazy in choosing not to go with the auto feature. What a shame

I could of used the live liner feature yesterday because i lost a sizeable fish when i was tossing out live Mullet in the 6-8 inch range at a local inlet. After pinning on a kicking Mullet i tightened my drag to prevent slippage as i cast it out in an area that looked like it had potential. Well i didn't even get the chance to loosen up my drag where i wanted it before my rod doubled over and pow (POP) there goes my line and the fish DAANG IT.

Man i was steamed. I had that look of disgust because i knew my drag was too tight by at least a full turn of the knob but it happened so fast. A crucial and stupid mistake on my part and a quick flip of the lever would of made a difference if i had been using a live liner equipped reel. A second or two proved success or failure in this instance:(:(

Sure, okay for certain fishing...just be aware.. from experience...several years ago... I hooked a Tuna on a baitrunner reel...when I flipped the switch back to engage the gears...the speed/run of tuna bacically stripped my reel gears..GONE!! so I don't recommend baitrunner reels "switch engage" gear gadget fishing for any "FORKED TAILED" pelagic fishing...those reels MAY NOT hold/handle the pure speed/power of the Tuna Family..Stick with the wide tail fish application only...Good luck.

kp3 if you're fishing the surf it's a grerat feature. I have the Penn 5600 liveliner and it does nothing but catch fish! As stated previously watchout when flipping the switch, meaning have your reel dialed in prior to casting. After awhile you'll realize how many hits go missed with a regular deadstick. Hope this helps...

Tightening and loosening the drag constantly is a pita with non baitrunner type reels when you want to live line something, much easier with the baitrunner feature. Penns earlier manual secondary drag engagement feature was the best imo but due to public outcry they changed it . I'm convinced the majority never understood the benefits of a manual engagement feature and that's unfortunate. Many looked at it like Penn was being lazy in choosing not to go with the auto feature. What a shame

I could of used the live liner feature yesterday because i lost a sizeable fish when i was tossing out live Mullet in the 6-8 inch range at a local inlet. After pinning on a kicking Mullet i tightened my drag to prevent slippage as i cast it out in an area that looked like it had potential. Well i didn't even get the chance to loosen up my drag where i wanted it before my rod doubled over and pow (POP) there goes my line and the fish DAANG IT.

Man i was steamed. I had that look of disgust because i knew my drag was too tight by at least a full turn of the knob but it happened so fast. A crucial and stupid mistake on my part and a quick flip of the lever would of made a difference if i had been using a live liner equipped reel. A second or two proved success or failure in this instance:(:(

I have two 4600L and four 5600L (just got #4 on the BST forum here)

I started off with just one 5600L

I've dunked them all and abused the heck out of them

I fish eels, live mackeral & harbor pollocks

occasionally I chunk with them

circle hooks :th:

I have two 4600L and four 5600L (just got #4 on the BST forum here)

I started off with just one 5600L

I've dunked them all and abused the heck out of them

I fish eels, live mackeral & harbor pollocks

occasionally I chunk with them

circle hooks :th:

Yeah, i'm with ya. Love the manual feature on them and the whole live liner setup is not difficult to work on. I have replaced parts on that system many times and it's a whole lot less complicated than the new Shimanos.

I preferred using my penn slammer livel liner drifting bait from boat over my conventional reels. I did not like it for the beach because more parts to clean., and Ive hooked more fish without using the live liner feature..It has its place I guess.