Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allen sklar

stella sealed drag ques.....

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

my new stella came in yesterday, damn nice to look at and feels good too......however i have never owned anything nicer than a stradic....and am somewhat shocked that the drag cannot be set "loose" as in take two fingers and pull line...seems very stiff and definately tighter at "loose" than my other reels.....is this how it is supposed to be? thanks allen......yea i know vs's are better but i love the looks.....

Allen, I've never even handled a Stella, but something sure does not sound quite right about that. I'd think you should have a very broad range of adjustment, right on down to no perceptible drag all.

allen...

I have a Stella 6000F. I have not experienced the problem you describe. One day I noticed something odd and I found that the drag components were not fully seated on the shaft. I gently pushed the spool until it was fully seated on the shaft, then carefully tightened the front drag knob.

Shimano service is very good! I'd either return it to the point of purchase for an exchange or send it to Shimano. I have had my reels serviced at Shimano in Irvine, Calif.

Bill wink.gif

I've had new reels of several different brands with that problem when brand new.

Always went away quickly, usually after the first good fish.

Try tightening the drag down snugly, tying the line to something solid, and then run away from it, pulling 50' of drag or so. Then loosen it back up. I sometimes think the grease in the washers is just a little gummy.

Swap the reel if it makes you uncomfortable.

TH

thanks for the input fellas....did catch a 30 in blue with her but she's still tight.....sure don't want to loose a forty lb fish cause the drag's too tight....gonna send her back to shim. service...see what's up...thanks again! allen