Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hertzy

trolling motor switch question

21 posts in this topic

As some of you may have seen, I'm working on setting my OK prowler 11t with a trolling motor. I'm basing my design like the ********. I got the motor mounted, and steering controls almost figured out, but the speed switch is giving me trouble. I took the factory one out, and wired it back up to the motor, and it works great, but there is no way to mount it. Anyone know where I can get one that I can mount in the yak??? I either want to mount it aside of my seat, or on the side of my leg. Not really sure yet.

Thanks in advance

I would give bass yaks a call and just ask them if they would sell you one. Can't hurt. Alls they can say is no.

Thought about that, figured they would either be flattered or pissed that i copied their design.

He will get pissed and prob not sell you one outside of the DIY kit. Even then he states on his site that DIYers with their own motors should not call him fir help. Only people who but a full kit w/ motor have that luxury or privilege.

would love to see your final tutorial with

lots of pix. Did u have to cut the motor mount at all?

Well here it is, mostly completed. I ended up using hard plastic tubes and coated cable for the steering. At the rear I used a air line ferrel and a small hose clamp on the other. I then removed the locking mechanism fro the foot pegs, and used old bimini straps to connect the cable to the pegs. The switch is the original from the motor. I took a copper pipe hanger, cut two pieces from it, and bent them in "L" and zip tied them to the switch. Drilled a few holes and mounted it. I had to cut the motor mount clamp off and using the 4 screw holes for the rudder and a few on the top side, mounted it on the stern, I'm hoping to try it out in water soon. still need to button a few things up, but seems to work well. Still need to make the lift mechanism, but should get that done soon.

Nice job. Looks like your all set. How many amp Batt. are you going to use to power that puppy.

Do you have to register it where you live and put some numbers on the side?

Nice job. Looks like your all set. How many amp Batt. are you going to use to power that puppy.

Do you have to register it where you live and put some numbers on the side?

Right now I have a small 17ah battery for testing. I'm looking to get a 35 to 55 ah battery. Yeah here in CT any vessel with any type of motor has to be registerd. I'm going this week to register it. Only cost $7.50 a year, so not so bad.

Looking good Hertzy! Might want to think about kill switch with landyard.

MA not only made me register but also made me title. Bastards. Don't forget proof of sales tax and proof of origin.

Looking good Hertzy! Might want to think about kill switch with landyard.

MA not only made me register but also made me title. Bastards. Don't forget proof of sales tax and proof of origin.

Yeah, I plan to add a lanyard kill switch before I try it in salt or fast water. No titles needed this size in CT. I have my receipt and my certificate of origin. Hopefully the line at the local DMV isn't too long tomorrow after work.