Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HardyG

Best Primer for Covering mold stains?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Gang,

Ah, the joys of home ownership. Several years ago I had a mold problem in my attic that was due to moisture infiltration from the living sp[ace. The infiltration has been stopped via spray foam insulation, but despite hitting the stains with bleach and wood brightener, the stains are still there. I need to cover them as I am doing a refi and will have a home inspection in about a month, plus, someday when the house gets sold, there will be an attic inspection as well. I've purchased a commercial-grade paint sprayer that can spray right out of a 5-gallon buckt, and has a 50 foot hose. What primer would you recommend? I don't car about odor or cleanup time (latex vs oil based). Getting the job done is the priority, Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

oil based KILZ :th:

i think i would just roll it on though, the cleanup with an airless sprayer and oil based paint may be a pita.

Agreed. We used to use this for stains, mold, soot, water marks, even burns. it covers everything. Forget the sprayer, roll it.

I always used the alcohol-based BIN from zinsser.  The fumes are STRONG.  if you're in the attic, definately wear a respirator.  I wouldn't spray it.  I would use a hot dog roller with a 5 gallon bucket.  stuff dries FAST.  I don't have any experience with the oil-based stain killer...but I do know that the alcohol one will pretty much cover any stain. 

definately stay away from the latex stain-killer.  I tried it a few times and it didn't cover squat.  didn't even cover knots in wood.