Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squidlips

RIP Steve Sabol

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I think back to when we first started seeing NFL films. Talk about coming out of the stone age and showing us the future of how we view sports! Before there were no after game highlights from around the league, no internet, or RedZone coverage. It was wait till the week was almost over and you'd get a brief look at other games that had been played. Today the NFL owes the Sabols a huge debt to making football the real American pastime.

Thank You Steve and your Dad.

I think back to when we first started seeing NFL films. Talk about coming out of the stone age and showing us the future of how we view sports! Before there were no after game highlights from around the league, no internet, or RedZone coverage. It was wait till the week was almost over and you'd get a brief look at other games that had been played. Today the NFL owes the Sabols a huge debt to making football the real American pastime.

Thank You Steve and your Dad.

Yeah it's easy to overlook what things were like prior to ESPN and all the instant coverage we now have. There was Nfl Films, with that always somewhat strident music and above all a deep gravelly voiced narrator, filling you in on pro football. Then in the early 70's monday night football showed up and now at halftime you could actually see clips from 5-6 games from the day before, we thought we were in sports heaven with that kind of progress yet had no idea what another 10-15 years would introduce.

NFL Films really did do a great job of promoting pro football, reading the obit I saw that his dad made it into the HoF.