allen sklar

The "BIRDS" thread

Rate this topic

12,563 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

He showed up late yesterday not the most camera friendly of birds ,IMG_4339.JPG.318bb85f7789e20829fd62bee5bbc2f6.JPG

Nice Mike. I just got an orange Oriole feeder that looks almost like that but with cups for jelly and a couple of spikes for fruit.

1 hour ago, Rickman said:

Nice Mike. I just got an orange Oriole feeder that looks almost like that but with cups for jelly and a couple of spikes for fruit.

I hope you have better luck than I did with it . I had one for a short while and the Orioles didn't even look at it . They'd heard straight for the suet. My local Catbirds loved it but never did drink the nectar , I don't even try to attract the Orioles with oranges or jelly anymore . 

6 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I hope you have better luck than I did with it . I had one for a short while and the Orioles didn't even look at it . They'd heard straight for the suet. My local Catbirds loved it but never did drink the nectar , I don't even try to attract the Orioles with oranges or jelly anymore . 

We don't get orioles here for some reason. I see them a mile away but can never get them to our yard, tried all the jelly orange type feeders etc. Catbirds galore, but no O's

4 hours ago, robtf said:

We don't get orioles here for some reason. I see them a mile away but can never get them to our yard, tried all the jelly orange type feeders etc. Catbirds galore, but no O's

If you don't already try putting out suet . Since I've gone to leaving the suet up year round I have Bluebirds year round. Along with them I get the Orioles and of course Woodpeckers and when they're here Redbreasted nuthatches . 

2 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

If you don't already try putting out suet . Since I've gone to leaving the suet up year round I have Bluebirds year round. Along with them I get the Orioles and of course Woodpeckers and when they're here Redbreasted nuthatches . 

I have 4 suet blocks out year round around the house. Get everything *except* Orioles :howdy:

1 min ago, robtf said:

I have 4 suet blocks out year round around the house. Get everything *except* Orioles :howdy:

Brother I don't know what to say . I wish I knew away to attract them from a distance . 

12 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

First time I've put one out. I had a juvie a few years ago and a couple of years ago I had a pair. They hit the suet and the hummingbird feeders quite regularly for a few weeks. I stuck some half oranges on the top of the feeder pole and they attacked them pretty good too. I've got my fingers crossed.

47 mins ago, Rickman said:

First time I've put one out. I had a juvie a few years ago and a couple of years ago I had a pair. They hit the suet and the hummingbird feeders quite regularly for a few weeks. I stuck some half oranges on the top of the feeder pole and they attacked them pretty good too. I've got my fingers crossed.

There are some feeders designed for the Orioles that are kinda like I use for the Hummers , Same thing never had luck with them using it the Catbirds liked them though. 

Had this RBG visit Monday evening for about an hour... must be passing through as he fed then just sat and watched us until rain came in

Pictures copy.jpg