allen sklar

The "BIRDS" thread

Rate this topic

12,118 posts in this topic

Went to the basement for an hour this afternoon and and a decent variety including a Tree Swallow (with it's head on backwards. ;) ) and my first Hummingbird of the year.

 

5-19-20 BYB _047.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _002.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _004.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _006.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _007.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _014.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _032.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _039.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _070.jpg

5-19-20 BYB _075.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 10:55 PM, musician4fishin said:

Thanks Rick

I've not seen it before but I think it's a Summer Tanager, maybe a juvenile. Here's another angle.

Maybe Rocco can verify...:help:

5ec349ed2c0d9_SOLBirds0069.jpg.f165064c4d2f967fe7a630b723e699a1.jpg

 i'd say adult female summer tanager :th: 

 

wish we saw more of them up this way.

13 hours ago, robtf said:

semipalmated sandpiper I assume?

Piper-May2020.jpg

:th: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Witnessed odd behavior last evening and this morning. A hummingbird at our feeder seemed to be having trouble or drank in a very odd way this morning. Anyone else see this before? This hummingbird would drink and then point it’s head up as shown and flick it’s tongue and flex it’s neck. Happened both last evening and again early this morning...

 

YouTube link 

 

91D447E2-4E20-4193-93ED-3F4743282638.jpeg

 

Edited by robtf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, robtf said:

Witnessed odd behavior last evening and this morning. A hummingbird at our feeder seemed to be having trouble or drank in a very odd way this morning. Anyone else see this before? This hummingbird would drink and then point it’s head up as shown and flick it’s tongue and flex it’s neck. Happened both last evening and again early this morning...

 

YouTube link 

 

91D447E2-4E20-4193-93ED-3F4743282638.jpeg

 

that is pretty odd, i've not seen that before. 

 

odd question, any chance the nectar could have fermented? :beers: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, rocco said:

that is pretty odd, i've not seen that before. 

 

odd question, any chance the nectar could have fermented? :beers: 

Good question but no, I had just changed it the day prior. Also this little one came back twice. Plus we have left fermented bad nectar out before and they are smart enough to just leave it alone.

 

When we first saw it doing this it looked like it was gargling... or trying to clear its throat... 

 

But then it was there doing the same behavior in the morning when I took this video

Edited by robtf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 7:29 PM, robtf said:

Good question but no, I had just changed it the day prior. Also this little one came back twice. Plus we have left fermented bad nectar out before and they are smart enough to just leave it alone.

 

When we first saw it doing this it looked like it was gargling... or trying to clear its throat... 

 

But then it was there doing the same behavior in the morning when I took this video

most hummers do an in flight courtship display. i'm wondering if there wasn't a female nearby watching.

 

otherwise, looks like he's just a weirdo :kook: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.