The "BIRDS" thread

Rate this topic

On 5/18/2020 at 10:55 PM, musician4fishin said:

Thanks Rick

I've not seen it before but I think it's a Summer Tanager, maybe a juvenile. Here's another angle.

Maybe Rocco can verify...:help:

5ec349ed2c0d9_SOLBirds0069.jpg.f165064c4d2f967fe7a630b723e699a1.jpg

i'd say adult female summer tanager :th: 

wish we saw more of them up this way.

13 hours ago, robtf said:

semipalmated sandpiper I assume?

Piper-May2020.jpg

:th: 

Witnessed odd behavior last evening and this morning. A hummingbird at our feeder seemed to be having trouble or drank in a very odd way this morning. Anyone else see this before? This hummingbird would drink and then point it’s head up as shown and flick it’s tongue and flex it’s neck. Happened both last evening and again early this morning...

YouTube link 

91D447E2-4E20-4193-93ED-3F4743282638.jpeg

Edited by robtf

From The Grand State of South Jersey

6 hours ago, robtf said:

Witnessed odd behavior last evening and this morning. A hummingbird at our feeder seemed to be having trouble or drank in a very odd way this morning. Anyone else see this before? This hummingbird would drink and then point it’s head up as shown and flick it’s tongue and flex it’s neck. Happened both last evening and again early this morning...

YouTube link 

91D447E2-4E20-4193-93ED-3F4743282638.jpeg

that is pretty odd, i've not seen that before. 

odd question, any chance the nectar could have fermented? :beers: 

1 hour ago, rocco said:

that is pretty odd, i've not seen that before. 

odd question, any chance the nectar could have fermented? :beers: 

Good question but no, I had just changed it the day prior. Also this little one came back twice. Plus we have left fermented bad nectar out before and they are smart enough to just leave it alone.

When we first saw it doing this it looked like it was gargling... or trying to clear its throat... 

But then it was there doing the same behavior in the morning when I took this video

Edited by robtf

From The Grand State of South Jersey

On 5/23/2020 at 7:29 PM, robtf said:

Good question but no, I had just changed it the day prior. Also this little one came back twice. Plus we have left fermented bad nectar out before and they are smart enough to just leave it alone.

When we first saw it doing this it looked like it was gargling... or trying to clear its throat... 

But then it was there doing the same behavior in the morning when I took this video

most hummers do an in flight courtship display. i'm wondering if there wasn't a female nearby watching.

otherwise, looks like he's just a weirdo :kook: