allen sklar

The "BIRDS" thread

Rate this topic

11,458 posts in this topic

For these two female Cardinal shots, I was in the basement when she landed on the feeder pole up on the deck. I'm holding the camera up while still attached to the tripod to get pointed up at her 12-14 feet above me so I guess it would be described as hand held tripod. :)   I actually have some blue sky and lighter green leaves as a background for a change.

6-12-19 BY Birds_130.jpg

6-12-19 BY Birds_133.jpg

Outstanding Rickman! Truly. What gear you using? You are achieving degrees of clarity I seem to only dream of, also my backgrounds are grainy. I blame it on high ISO and cropping. I am shooting a7riii and sony glass 100-400 . Routinely I feel as if I should be able to get far better results considering.

Posted (edited) · Report post

27 mins ago, sunobskt said:

Outstanding Rickman! Truly. What gear you using? You are achieving degrees of clarity I seem to only dream of, also my backgrounds are grainy. I blame it on high ISO and cropping. I am shooting a7riii and sony glass 100-400 . Routinely I feel as if I should be able to get far better results considering.

Thank you fot your most kind words. 

I use a Nikon D500 and a Tamron 150-600 1st generation lens. These were shot at iso 800. I use the Nik DeFine app for noise reduction in the background when necessary. 

Edited by Rickman

Nice Chris.

My baby Blue Birds that fledged a few weeks ago finally showed back up yesterday. Seems Papa is the one doing the feeding. A few other BB pics included.

6-14-19 BY Birds_002.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_024.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_035.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_038.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_041.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_044.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_047.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_051.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_053.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_055.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_057.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_060.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_065.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_067.jpg

6-14-19 BY Birds_070.jpg

1 hour ago, sunobskt said:

Looney, that second to the last shot is really interesting. Not sure what I am seeing.

That's it's tongue. Not sure if it's broken or not, maybe when Rocco sees it he'll shed some light on it. In any event, broken or not it's still feeding and feeding the young.

7 hours ago, Rickman said:

Outstanding Looney, sunobskt.  I love Brown Thrashers. I have only seen mine once this year and didn't get a pic.

thanks, hadn't seen them until this week. first time taking their pics, intense eyes, like an eagle.

6 hours ago, looney tunes said:

That's it's tongue. Not sure if it's broken or not, maybe when Rocco sees it he'll shed some light on it. In any event, broken or not it's still feeding and feeding the young.

I can't see it referenced in my internet searches. 

10 hours ago, looney tunes said:

not broken at all. hummingbird tongues are freaky, that upper part is flattened, and they can extend their tongues out to twice the resting length in order to reach and pump nectar. :freak: that upper flat part contracts when they contact nectar and the grooves in the tongue trap and pump the nectar up. it all happens super fast too. 

9 hours ago, rocco said:

not broken at all. hummingbird tongues are freaky, that upper part is flattened, and they can extend their tongues out to twice the resting length in order to reach and pump nectar. :freak: that upper flat part contracts when they contact nectar and the grooves in the tongue trap and pump the nectar up. it all happens super fast too. 

Cool. I've seen them extended quite far through a closed beak but never like above.