allen sklar

The "BIRDS" thread

Rate this topic

11,180 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sunobskt said:

great spot you got there loon. what is your technique casual stroll or you got a good hiding spot 

just sit and wait mostly in one spot and hope they come close. this was at an inlet. further into the inlet sometimes there are some too.

Not sure at all what the first bird is, next I am guessing is a Chipping Sparrow and the yellowish either a Tennessee warbler or a Blue Wing warbler and of course Carolina Wren

_DSC0527.jpg

_DSC0529.jpg

_DSC0541.jpg

_DSC0585.jpg

_DSC0641.jpg

_DSC0700.jpg

2 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Nice shots.

The top one looks like a female Goldfinch.

The warbler possibly a Pine Warbler.

Thanks. Didn't go to the 3rd to last page in Sibley's to find goldfinch and Pine Warbler it is.

10 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

outstanding shots sunobskt, are you using a Sony a6000 ? 

Thanks. No I decided I was dam well worth the a7riii . I am finding really good pics are not as easy as one would think. A lot to learn. 

22 hours ago, sunobskt said:

Loon, what lens , iso u using?, awesome hawk pics

I have 2 lenses I use., a 300mm 2.8  fixed lens that is close to 30 years old (no vibration reduction) and a 200-500 5.6 lens. These get hooked up to the Nikon D500 most of the time. I also have a Nikon D300s I use once in a while. The shots above were between 360 and 800 iso. The last 3 were the 800. I also have a 1.4 teleconverter that I use sometimes. It brings the F stop to 4 on the 300 and 8 on the 200-500.

Generally I let the camera choose the iso. I make adjustments until it's in a range I'm willing to accept.