Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achez

Blitzing Reports

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Probably preaching to the choir on this one. But beware of the blitz reports, in particular a shop down in south Seaside Park (rymes with pricks). A few friends of mine spent a majority of yesterday (6 am to 1 pm) in that area and caught a couple of blues. While in the shop he overhead the employee telling a person on the phone that the bass and bluefish were blitzing the beach. By no means was there a blitz in that area.

So take information from the B&Ts (particularliy this one) lightly.

"ANY" BT shop is in business for 1 reason and 1 reason only. To make moola. How they run their business is up to them. I'm a local and I do not usually go to the shop in question. Their prices on Rods and Reels are pretty good though.

I frequent a shop that is a little closer to me and I trust the guy to give an accurate report. He and the shop you are referring to are the 2 major shops in the "Park". The store I frequent updates his webpage with reports AT LEAST once a day. When a fish is noted on the webpage you can go into his store and match the report to his weigh in book.

The shop you are talking about supplies bait and tackle for lower Seaside Park and IBSP. How long a stretch is that? 8 to 10 miles? I'm in no way sticking up for those guys but they get ALOT of guys in that shop going and coming ALL day. 10 miles is a long stretch of beach. How much of this did your friends fish?

It is a fact that the bite on Monday was not as good as Sunday. They did still have a good morning bite in the area. Blitz? I don't know. But a decent bite.

Can you imagine how many calls these Tackle Shops get a day from guys ready to come down? Now, the guys running both shops are in the store themselves ALL DAY. They don't get a chance to go fish the beach. They rely on people coming back to give THEM reports. You can make assumpions on the merits of either store's truthfullness if you want but also remember the report being given on the phone is usually several hours old anyway.

It's like going in to a shop and asking where the fish are biting. You KNOW the reply back to you is also the same given to 100 other guys.

Again, I'm not sticking up for these guys. I don't go in there too often. When I do, they seem ok (even though I've heard they can be hard to deal with sometimes). If I was in that store from 5:30am till closing I'd at some point during the day get a bit pissy too. Who knows how truthful their reports are. Their income is based on how many of us they can get in as possible. But, they also may have been passed bad info also. And, any report is only as good until the next guy comes in and says otherwise.

Well if your depending on B&T reports your behind the curve frown.gif Best info is talking to fellas you know and who are fihsing.......personally said shop has made me mad at times but I have gotten decent info there over the years........there are other shops in the area and they are no better and in many cases are even worse......but its all opinion.....

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I would think that they would post "blitz" conditions more often if they were just looking to bring in a crowd. Last year, I read that page alot, and it seemed to me that they often had "its been slow the last few days" reports posted. BTW, I don't get that far south, but there was certainly very good fishing well north of there this morning.

I guess it all comes down to what their interpretation of a what a blitz means. I just think they use the term too loosely.

As far as using them for reports...I wouldn't put my money on it.

BLITZ!!?? WHERE? There's a Blitz going on. What beach? Huh? What do you throw for bliting fish? WHERE"S THE FREAKIN' BLITZ??

BLUES YOU SAY!!?? OH, STRIPERS...? NEVER CAUGHT A STRIPER. HEARD THEY'RE RARE. WILL THEY EAT THIS MUSKIE LURE I FOUND IN MY GRANDPAS OLD TAKLE BOX! HOOKS ARE A BIT RUST, BT HEY, WHAT KIND O' FISH COULD BREAK THIS!!! WHAT??? I"M NOT screaming. sorry, couldn't focus with all this talk about blitzing fish. HOPKINS' yeah, they'll catch stripers? and oh yeah, that flurescent green, orange and whatever thing that is really expensive too? Yeah? That'll catch a striper? What I really need are these salted clams. ALL stripers eat clams. Why are they green? Must be a green spieces, that's all. Hey, Mr. Takle shop guy!!!! WHERE'S A GOOD SPOT? ARE THE FISH "RUNNING" I HEARD THE FLUKES AND THE STRIPERS ARE RUNNING REAL GOOD!!! sorry, didn't mean to shout. WHAT'S THAT, FISH THE SAME JETTY OR BEACH YOU SEE SOMEONE ELSE FISHING, CAUSE THAT'S WHRERE THE FISH ARE? OH, OK !!! THANKS FOR THE TIP. Oh yeah, throw some of those floaty orange thingees in there and some squid and sandworms just in case. Oh.....gimme that GIBBS thing. Saw a guy catch tons of fish on them things. Color? Don't care, doesn't mater anyway!

Sorry, but I've had too much caffeine.

Hope know one who knows me reads this. biggrin.gif

-Geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com

I know what you mean from the tackle shop reports but on Sunday they were pretty accurate. Although there were not bass blitzing up and down the beach they did have the peanuts cornered in some areas all day. It seemed to be real good in certain areas and more of a pick in others.

Achez,

I noticed the report for that particular site is still the Sunday report. If your friends were there yesterday, they were a day late. Can't fault the shop for that one. I do personally believe the word blitz is used a bit too loosely there, but from what I heard (I missed this one), it was accurate.

I've also seen one of the employees in that shop tell someone on the phone nothing was going on and to "go play golf" (jokingly). To me, that shows that the shop at least has some interest in supplying good info to a potential customer in hopes that when they do go fishig, they will stop there for what they need.

------------------

John B

mako@bellatlantic.net

I have top agree with John B on this one. I have been in that shop a few times when they have told people to stay home and do yard work. Some folks in that shop might have a sharp edge at times when it's busy, but for the most part they are good folks with good info.

Bob L

Oh...sorry Jimmy....much better today, thank you. All this talk about blitzing fish, I slipped into a case of hammeheaditis. It's sort of like a virus that lays dormant for a while, then all of the sudden, BAM!!!

It just takes over biggrin.gif

--Geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com