Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

What cold-weather clothing system do YOU use?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Winter is almost here. Time for the cold weather gear!

When it's cold out, here is what I do:

Chest/arms: I always start with a long-sleeve cotton shirt for comfort, and top it with long sleeve poly or fleece. Then a long sleeve hooded sweatshirt finishes it. Coat or rain jacket if it's really cold. The rain jacket really keeps the air out!

Legs: I have several pair of "lounge pants" which are basically thin sweat pants without pockets. They are very warm, and don't pull your leg hairs. I HATE long johns, for that very reason! Top with jeans or canvas pants is generally plenty warm. If severely cold, I wear my polys under and rain pants or chest waders on top to stop the cold air.

Head: the hooded sweatshirt keeps the warm air from my body up around my neck and head. A hat isn't really needed, but the hooded rainjacket really traps in the warmth and keeps things toasty on frigid days.

Hands: I have a pair of waterproof work gloves that look like Ski gloves. I can fish in them if I have to, but they are mainly to warm my hands back up. Neoprene gloves work in between, but don't seem to keep my hands warm for very long alone.

Feet: Buying a good pair of insulated, waterproof boots is vital! Recently, I've discovered the 2-ply, wool blend socks. Awesome warmth. Also, buying the boots 1/2 size large really keeps the circulation from being cut off by the thick socks. When wearing the waders, a full size larger boot is needed, and not tying them too tight helps.

And that's pretty much what I do. My only problem really lies in keeping my hands warm. Only the super-heavy gloves seem to do it for long, but I hate fishing in them. I think I have poor circulation in the winter time. Unlike many, no matter how many clothes I have on, I almost NEVER sweat in the winter time.

What clothing have you had good success with?

TH

[This message has been edited by thill (edited 11-01-2002).]

I get really bad in january. I wear long johns..a really think pair of sweatpants..and my rain pants...beneath my neopreme boots..on top is a long sleeve shirt..sweater neopreme top... skull cap, Gator mask, and neopreme gloves..

gotta love them warm water spots in cold weather... :-D

long undies, jeans/sweats under neoprene waders

a thermal top wool sweater and a neoprene bronco jacket/pullover.

and a baseball cap, if its really cold ill put a couple handwarmers in the pocket.

For nights in the 30's just fleece pants, warm socks and t-shirts and fleece top or sweatshirt with a windshirt over that, ski cap is important and then my vest, thats enough, the key is keep the head, feet and hands warms. For the hands, I wear fingerleess gloves until it gets bitter, then i use wool army inserts and when that dont wirk anynmore i blow on them alot and put them in my pockets for a few to keep them working.

------------------

Keep using my name in vain, I'll make rush hour longer!! - God

thill,

bag the cotton and get a polypro t-shirt... in hiking circles they say "cotton kills"

sweaty cotton next to your body + cold temps = cold body

On Top I wear (in order) poly t-shirt, poly turtleneck, wool shirt, fleece and/or spray jacket, or Bronco. I add from the bottom up depending on temp. Balaclava on head under hood.

Bottoms are drylete pants under neoprene waders. If I were my breathables I go with drylete, and fleece under the waders. Feet are covered with wicking sox under wool.

Hands are covered with wool gloves with finger tims cut but attached and held back with velcro (thanks mom-in-law for the custom sewing job).

Dave

T-Shirt.....Turtle Neck....sweater...fleece...and a windbreaker if necessary.

Hot Chili's under a pair of Jeans.

Insulated boots.

Ski Hat

Ski Glove on left hand....no glove on right.

thill,

bag the cotton and get a polypro t-shirt... in hiking circles they say "cotton kills"

sweaty cotton next to your body + cold temps = cold body

Dave,

I really don't sweat, so that isn't a problem. The poly directly against my skin makes me itchy. Putting the longsleeve T under it works better for me, and doesn't seem to change the warmth factor.

My thing is the hands now that I've got the feet thing fixed.

TH

Good socks make me much more comfortable. Spend some $ on some "technical socks" that wick water and ar warm when wet. You'll be happy you did. Hands are still a problem. I go b/n gloves and taking breaks with hands in pockets w/ warming pads.

[This message has been edited by richs (edited 11-01-2002).]

The Deal is Quality And Layers. K-Mart Long Johns are reasonably priced but you get what you pay for. If your going to be in some extreme temps, spring the extra $$$ and get the appropriate gear.

Bottom Layer : Quality Fleece top(Turtleneck) and bottom

Second Layer: Polyprop Thermal long johns top and bottom

Optional Layer: Only If the Air temp is below 35 (Including wind Chill) or the water temps is below 45: One piece, step-in / zip-up wool/fleece union suit.

Next : the one piece DRY SUIT :c)

Last: is the Bronco Pullover for added warmth and flotation. (Must wear wading belt around pullover to keep it from riding up into your face in the surf.)

I always wear a gortex sock which has a therma lining, keeps the toes nice and toasty.

I very rarely wear gloves although I have a few pairs I switch back and forth, Neopreme and Gortex.

I have tried a few variations but this is my favorite. It's Light weight, allows freedom of movement (casting), very warm if you need it, but no overly hot when you don't. And maybe most important, You stay dry on the inside, the sweat/water is wicked away from the body which keeps you warmer longer, Even if you work up a sweat on the long sand-walk to the fishing area. And with the dry suit, you know you are going to stay completely dry.

[This message has been edited by A-Jay (edited 11-01-2002).]

Tony, I agree with DaveK that cotton is not the best next to the skin...even if you don't sweat. Cotton does not retain body heat. Try Thermax! Very soft and not itchy.

The only 2 fibers known to man that retain body heat when wet are Wool and synthetic Fleece!

Our layers start with wicking long johns Thermax or Polypro (oversized so they are not tight), Thermax undersocks, wool oversocks, water-proof and insulated boots with non-marring soles (for the boat), fleece trousers, turtleneck, windstopper fleece vest or windstopper fleece long sleeve pullover, and goretex shell jacket with hood. Sealskins or windstopper gloves.

Fishing is not a fashion statement. My favorite hat would look good on Elmer Fudd...it is fleece too!

Try www.sierra.com for overstocks and seconds on great outdoor wear.

Feet: The NRS boots that were discussed online with 1/4 inch neoprene botties underneath

Legs: 6.5 mm wetsuit farmer johns

Top: 3/6 mm hooded vest, 6.5 wetsuit top

The arms and leg opening area are closed tight with a few extra wraps of electrical tape, to limit the water flow, but not too tight to cut off circulation.

keeps ya toasty for H2O temps to high 40s and/or air temps to high 20s for about 3 hrs.

(If I'm not going swimming some insulated underwear under a heavy polartech pair pants, and a pair of turtlenecks, then a heavy polartech pullover, then a dri-core, and I'm toasty into the teens - polar tech is just outta this world for warmth and dryness!)

Try www.sierra.com for overstocks and seconds on great outdoor wear.

Ladyfish,

Did you mean www.sierratradingpost.com. I have gotten tons of great deals through their catalog. They also have a lifetime return policy. They took back a pair of Mtn biking shoes that blew up a year-and-a-half after I bought them (mfr warranty was only 1 year).

thill, I guess I can't argue with what works wink.gif . Personally, I sweat, especially making that walk from WE2 parking lot to the Jetty at Jones Beach.

[This message has been edited by DaveK (edited 11-01-2002).]

I start with poly-pro long johns and a long sleeved turtleneck. Wool socks. I have a heavy pile hooded fleece top. I usually go with a pair of old woolen paratrooper pants. Waders and neoprene Bronco jacket if it's really cold, otherwise a cheap Helly Hansen rain top. Woolen knit watch cap, and fingerless ragg wool gloves. Sometimes I'll go with cheap SA neoprene gloves that have the tips of the index finger and thumb cut off.

I like a hooded fleece top because the wool cap doesn't keep the back of my neck warm, and for some reason, cold there really affects my comfort level.