Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper53

Checking out a rod - something to try

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Some of you may know this but I havn't seen it posted. The two hardest things to do while scoping out a rod are seeing how well they will cast and their sensitivity. Casting requires either a large parking lot or proximity to water, sensitivity needs only a willing partner.

When testing a rod have someone hold the tip on their throat while you hold the butt and have them speak. You should be able to "feel" their words. If ya don't, pass it up.

Try it.

When testing a rod have someone hold the tip on their throat while you hold the butt and have them speak. You should be able to "feel" their words. If ya don't, pass it up.

Try it.

icon25.gifeek.gificon25.gif

Some of you may know this but I havn't seen it posted. The two hardest things to do while scoping out a rod are seeing how well they will cast and their sensitivity. Casting requires either a large parking lot or proximity to water, sensitivity needs only a willing partner.

Try it.

cwm13.gif This isn't another "politically incorrect" gay bashing post, is it Paul?

cwm27.gif

big jim

Wouldn't it be easier to walk on over to the electronics department and jab it(the rod tip)into the woofer of a boom box or a T.V. speaker?? cwm12.gif

Bob

What if your friend is a loudmouth drunk and puts out more vibration than a normal speaking person. Wouldn't that give a false positive? Or if your friend is very soft spoken, you could wind up with a noodle rod. I think more refinement is in order for this formula to work effectively, different people for different rods. Bring the loudmouth drunk if you're in the market for an 8 & bait rod, and the little soft spoken guy for light plugging. A small child would probably be good for a Trout rod. Just trying to help.

It is a sales trick. I first saw this technique working with a Garcia Rep a long time ago. It does work, but you might get a different result when there is a tight line going through the guides with a bend in the rod.

Try it as described then utter your comments! No pictures are necessary.

frikken morons!

Ah, 53! You're a far better rib chef than you are a straight man for me jokes!

cool.gif big jim

OK steppin' back a few here. While I realize that comments from the gallery are common place in the tavern I wasn't expectin' them here. My bad. OTOH - I really don't think it's a sales ploy.

All things considered take 3 rods, all rated 1 to 3oz, maybe one has a cork butt, another is cork tape and the third is foam. Now add in one loudmouthed drunk, he's the constant. Say what you will relative to line type they all run across the the tip guide. Regardless whether you use mono, poly's or braid; they have to touch or run across the tip. And that's where the energy is transferred. As long as you use the same loudmouthed drunk or mousey individual for all the tests the you have the same initial stimulus.

I never said to stick it IN the throat, I said on!

If someone wants to try sticking it up a dog's butt after feedeing it cabbage all the more power to them, but don't come crying to me when the tip smells bad!