My prediction on the Phila. Phillies

Rate this topic

biggstriper

I am an avowed NY Mets fan but since the Wilpons have bungled up the franchise (i.e. FUBAR) I am forced to get behind another team for the playoffs.

I tend to go for the underdog and it looks like the Phillies are it this year.

It's not far-fetched cause the Phillies are loaded with the best pitching in baseball and have missed thier star hitters almost all season but now they're back and getting into thier groove.

I say the Phillies may be in line for another World Series ring.

I love watching the "experts" write them off on tv and a lot of the fans as well.

Remember- you heard it here first.

I have spoken!

The Bucks stop here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggstriper View Post

I am an avowed NY Mets fan but since the Wilpons have bungled up the franchise (i.e. FUBAR) I am forced to get behind another team for the playoffs.

I tend to go for the underdog and it looks like the Phillies are it this year.

It's not far-fetched cause the Phillies are loaded with the best pitching in baseball and have missed thier star hitters almost all season but now they're back and getting into thier groove.

I say the Phillies may be in line for another World Series ring.

I love watching the "experts" write them off on tv and a lot of the fans as well.

Remember- you heard it here first.

I have spoken!

Sounds good to me.Lot of people have written them off,as far as the playoffs are concernned,I say GO PHILS.

I hope you're right, but I'm still skeptical. I think they have to get within striking distance, say 2-3 games out, as quickly as possible, probably within a week or so, to have any kind of chance. I just don't see this happening, unless the Cardinals tank, which is a possibility - the Braves and Sox both did it last year, and I didn't see either collapse coming (I don't think anyone did).

One interesting aspect of this is that if the Phillies can get into the playoffs, and can get past the one-game wild card playoff, nobody is going to want to play them, even with their frequently anemic/looks-like-AAA lineup. It doesn't mean the Phillies are invincible, of course, but nobody is going to want to play a team that can throw Halladay, Hamels, and Lee at you all five games of a Best-of-Five, and in six games in a best-of-7 series. Starting pitching rules, and if those three guys are all in form in the playoffs, the Phillies will be a tough nut for any team (and this isn't even counting their newest phenomenon, Kyle "the pencil-necked Bob Feller" Kendrick).

Where's F'nM? The only thing this thread is missing is someone posting that all the Phillies needed was to get rid of that incubus Victorino to turn things around. Interestingly, it seems that this is what has happened....

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

I pray that the danged Cards don't get in this year. haha

Yeah, If the Phillies get into one of the wild card spots then they'll be a force to reckon with.

Howard and Utley can earn that money they're being paid. Maybe they should've paid Jason Werth what he wanted. He probably could've kept them close while Howard and Utley were injured.

The Bucks stop here...

Yeah, things are rolling the Phillies way right now. :)

If Utley, Howard and Rollins (as well as the ace pitchers) can show some leadership and put thier collective noses to the grindstone then they will be "In Like Flint".

Four games is nothing. I have to look at what head to head games they have left.

Go Phillies!

The Bucks stop here...

I hope you're right, but I'm still skeptical. I think they have to get within striking distance, say 2-3 games out, as quickly as possible, probably within a week or so, to have any kind of chance. I just don't see this happening, unless the Cardinals tank, which is a possibility - the Braves and Sox both did it last year, and I didn't see either collapse coming (I don't think anyone did).

One interesting aspect of this is that if the Phillies can get into the playoffs, and can get past the one-game wild card playoff, nobody is going to want to play them, even with their frequently anemic/looks-like-AAA lineup. It doesn't mean the Phillies are invincible, of course, but nobody is going to want to play a team that can throw Halladay, Hamels, and Lee at you all five games of a Best-of-Five, and in six games in a best-of-7 series. Starting pitching rules, and if those three guys are all in form in the playoffs, the Phillies will be a tough nut for any team (and this isn't even counting their newest phenomenon, Kyle "the pencil-necked Bob Feller" Kendrick).

Where's F'nM? The only thing this thread is missing is someone posting that all the Phillies needed was to get rid of that incubus Victorino to turn things around. Interestingly, it seems that this is what has happened....

The Phillies had thier problems early in the year but thier core strength is thier starting pitching and Papelbon (closer) was always pretty healthy. Atlanta and the Sox had problems that caught up with them. The Phillies should be tasting blood right now. Go for the kill!

They were built for this kind of thing.

Papelbon wasn't the problem when he was with the Bosox. He needs get get back that killer instinct he had in his best seasons with the Sox. Get back that killer look like Rivera always has.

The Bucks stop here...