jazzsola

need a wading jacket recommendation...

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I've used a wading jacket over waders for years for surf and other fishing. However, my old jacket is shot; frozen zipper, too many rips etc.

I'm heading to Montauk for the fall run and need to get a jacket. Looking for something breathable and able to handle strong, sustained rain.

Don't think I need a dri top as I'm not looking to do any extreme surf fishing, squishing, etc.

THanks in advance for your help fellas!!

I Have the aquaskinz rampage and its great for hard rain. breatheable its def not but im a big guy and the 2xl is actually big on me so it gets some air in for sure.. great in the surf but if a waves comes over your head your gonna take in some water.. ive never had an issue with it. only gaskets are on the cuffs. good luck

Do they still make Bronco Jackets???

I think this is one of the best jackets I've ever owned. 10 years old and still doing its job.

The three Aquaskinz tops I've had are all rotting in a land fill somewhere.

I use a guy cotton surf top when I do not need full seals, it's a pull over not a full zipper but it is easy to get into and take off. It's sturdy with a hood, Velcro cuffs and neck gasket, it does the job keeping me dry when the weather is less than cooperative. Its right around the 200 dollar range also but it is one of those things that I would suggest you try on to check the fit. happy hunting

I bought a Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket last year. This is a serious, high quality piece of equipment. Very waterproof for non-extreme surf fishing. Breathable, and super lightweight. You will need to wear layers underneath in cold weather. 2 big fly box pockets on the front, will fit lots of other gear if you're not fly fishing. The jacket is cut short for wading, but its long enough to strap on a wading belt at the waist over the jacket. Stretchy stuff with velcro straps at the sleeve cuffs do a good job keeping water out.

I had good advice that you should never pay full retail price for Patagonia gear, wait for their sales. Last year Patagonia never put the Deep Wading Jacket on sale, but I found an online retailer with big markdowns on the Patagonia jacket in mid-late September. List price $249, I got it for $162. I think it may have been the prior season's version of the jacket...spring 2011 model sold in fall 2011. No major redesign so the model I got was virtually identical to the fall 2011 model. Had to search a bit online to find it. Just saw one online for $199.

The jacket was redesigned maybe 3-4 years ago. I think it used to be bulkier. If you find one online you can compare it to the current model on the Patagonia website to make sure you're getting the new version. There were still a few of the older pre-redesign models being sold online when I was shopping last year.

Grundens type top will get the job done. Find one with neoprene cuffs on the wrists. Relatively cheap and lasts forever.

Grundens pullover with the neoprene cuffs is the best in my opinion. I'll never use another top.

x3

I use a guy cotton surf top when I do not need full seals, it's a pull over not a full zipper but it is easy to get into and take off. It's sturdy with a hood, Velcro cuffs and neck gasket, it does the job keeping me dry when the weather is less than cooperative. Its right around the 200 dollar range also but it is one of those things that I would suggest you try on to check the fit. happy hunting

+1 have a GC top and it's great, a bit hot during the summer but great when it is cooler

Picked up an AS 'bayman' light top and after not even a full season the cuffs are torn - GC top MUCH better made

I bought a Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket last year. This is a serious, high quality piece of equipment. Very waterproof for non-extreme surf fishing. Breathable, and super lightweight. You will need to wear layers underneath in cold weather. 2 big fly box pockets on the front, will fit lots of other gear if you're not fly fishing. The jacket is cut short for wading, but its long enough to strap on a wading belt at the waist over the jacket. Stretchy stuff with velcro straps at the sleeve cuffs do a good job keeping water out.

I had good advice that you should never pay full retail price for Patagonia gear, wait for their sales. Last year Patagonia never put the Deep Wading Jacket on sale, but I found an online retailer with big markdowns on the Patagonia jacket in mid-late September. List price $249, I got it for $162. I think it may have been the prior season's version of the jacket...spring 2011 model sold in fall 2011. No major redesign so the model I got was virtually identical to the fall 2011 model. Had to search a bit online to find it. Just saw one online for $199.

The jacket was redesigned maybe 3-4 years ago. I think it used to be bulkier. If you find one online you can compare it to the current model on the Patagonia website to make sure you're getting the new version. There were still a few of the older pre-redesign models being sold online when I was shopping last year.

The jacket was redesigned to be sleeker and less bulky with vertically zippered front pockets rather than the large flap pocket, which is an improvement as the rain would find its way into and around that flap. The zippers were also more plastic looking and hopefully an improvement over their previous zippers which eventually locked due to saltwater. Both of my Deep Wading jackets eventually leaked through the hood or underarm taping and Patagonia cheerfully replaced both of them. If you can remember, hose off that zipper when you're rinsing off your equipment.