Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rumble Fish aka Poppy

Catching another Fisherman's fish...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

During this past weekend some of the SOL regulars got together on Assateague Island for some Red Drum fishing... One of the island surf rats that we fished w/, Critter Gitter, nailed what looked like a 40# bull red Saturday morning... Nice fish and it was released smile.gif...

On Sunday morning, Critter Gitter again landed another big Red Drum that looked even larger than the one on Saturday... But he took the fish on another fisherman's rod... The other fisherman, Steve Coleman (a regular on the island) had hooked up w/ a large shark and the battle took him down the beach.... Meanwhile, Steve's other spiked rod that he had put out, doubled over and Critter Gitter grabbed it... As Steve landed the shark, Critter Gitter landed the Red Drum.

It was Steve's rod and reel that he himself rigged, baited and cast into the exact spot in the surf were the Drum found the offering and took it... But it was Critter Gitter that landed the fish... It takes experience and skill to land a big Red Drum out of the surf...the fish are very powerful, much more so than a Striper of comparable size. But it also takes equal skill to rig up and present offerings to these fish... The fish are shrewd and your equipment and technique have to be right on...

So, who takes credit for catching this Bull Red? Who would take it home if it was not released?

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

I'm no expert but my feelings are simple. If the nice lad had NOT landed the fish, then the gear would probably be lost to the sea. That is one attitude.

Other....I would assume that these guys are buddies. I would credit my friend if he fought the fish in and would expect the same in return. Life is too short to worry about little things. I wouldn't ever let something like that bother me!

My $.01

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

Dave caught the fish. It counts as his.

This is a happy story all around. I'm happy to let Dave land the fish. I'm happy it was a drum and not a shark. Big drum are cool.

Most likely he saved my rod and reel, for I probably would not have been able to release the sandtiger and get 200 yds back up the beach before the line was completely pulled against the light drag, and I don't think I had a slip knot at the bottom this time. It could have bent the spike down and pulled my stuff into the drink.

And it's a good thing my other rod didn't go off while all this was happening smile.gif

It makes for a better story this way, than had I just caught it myself.

If it was a striper though, I bet it would have ended up in my cooler smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I think that as far as fishing tournements would judge it, the catch would not have qualified.

Sorry I missed meeting you SOL guys.

Steve C.

:v :v :v :v :v :v

[ hey Tim - what happened to the little darth heads? ]

[This message has been edited by Steve Coleman (edited 09-25-2000).]

It's no different than if I cast a lure out into a rip for my wife or one of my kids, and then handed the rod over for one of them to fish. If they hooked, played and landed the fish, it's their fish no matter who presented the bait or lure on the cast.

Steve, the little Darth Heads will be back...last time I messed with this new version of software, my web host almost shut us down! the script was going nuts every couple hundred posts and starting processes that wouldn't die on their own...but that's probably more info than you needed, huh? redface.gif Errr...they'll be back soon!

Dat fish goes in the Critter Gitter column, no doubt. Yes, it may have been Steve's gifted talents with dead fish parts that got the bite...but how many good fish are lost long after the bite? See where this is goin'? wink.gif The Gitter got it...much as a gitter would do biggrin.gif

TimS

As far as qualifying for a MD citation, I believe CG would be the one that would get it. The first person to touch the rod once the fish is hooked can land it for a citation. Congratulations to CG, he sure earned those fish in the conditions that were present.

It was CG conditions (nasty) for sure. I'm surprised no one made mention of the weed in the water (poodles). Very tough fishing conditions Friday and Saturday.

[This message has been edited by DougP (edited 09-25-2000).]

In my opinion its Critter gitters with an assist form Steve smile.gif

I had the same situation in Hatteras the prior weekend, I was on with one fish when the other rod went. The fella next to me did the honors until his rod went off.....had he landed the drum it was his fish to with as he pleased, if it had been keepr size, it was too big to keep smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com