Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mydixiewrecked

Weakfish help

Rate this topic

232 posts in this topic

I wonder the same I've never in my 5 years in this sport have ever run into any weakfish. Typically what part of the water column do these bugger's hang out in?

At or near the bottom usually.

I wonder the same I've never in my 5 years in this sport have ever run into any weakfish. Typically what part of the water column do these bugger's hang out in?

One of the perks of getting old, I remember when we used to target weakfish. Bottom or a few turns of the reel above. There used to be boats that targeted weakfish in RB and you could even catch them off a bulkhead or beach. I think now as the stock is rebuilding, the better locations are structure and sod banks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJTramcar View Post

One of the perks of getting old, I remember when we used to target weakfish. Bottom or a few turns of the reel above. There used to be boats that targeted weakfish in RB and you could even catch them off a bulkhead or beach. I think now as the stock is rebuilding, the better locations are structure and sod banks.

If it make you feel any better I got into a school of weakfish last fall on a MoCo beach. I had hits on every cast and land 20 or so fish which were about 15 to 18 inches. I was using an Ava and a teaser. All fish were caught on the teaser. It was great but I had been on a month long bass skunk. After catching so many I figured there had to be bass around so I left the weakies before the bite ended.

If it make you feel any better I got into a school of weakfish last fall on a MoCo beach. I had hits on every cast and land 20 or so fish which were about 15 to 18 inches. I was using an Ava and a teaser. All fish were caught on the teaser. It was great but I had been on a month long bass skunk. After catching so many I figured there had to be bass around so I left the weakies before the bite ended.

Oh great, now I've come full circle and lived to see the return, ugh! :D

That's great to hear that they are coming back. They are good eating, fun to catch, plus I like hearing anytime we haven't fished the ocean bare.

Now if I can just wheel my old self to the waters... ;)

Though it's nothing like the old days, there was a nice resurgence early in the last decade that was wiped out (netters?). In recent years at this time of the season you have a decent chance of picking a few weakfish from the beach in the evening...haven't had any luck yet this year though I'm also not targeting them.

Though it's nothing like the old days, there was a nice resurgence early in the last decade that was wiped out (netters?). In recent years at this time of the season you have a decent chance of picking a few weakfish from the beach in the evening...haven't had any luck yet this year though I'm also not targeting them.

Remember when you didn't have to target them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yosco View Post

I still have my stash of pink Fin s and Rat l traps. When I was a kid, bucktails

and purple worms were king where I fished in S. Jersey.

Pink still rules the SJ bay. I caught about a 34" weakie on a half ounce jig with a pink FinS this spring.

Challenging year to say to the least with these fish, after the past two seasons I was expecting better things but at least in the area's that I target every year they were very few and far between. None the less very rewarding when I did hook-up...

Caught this beast a few years back in May while targeting bass (released). That's a 16a bomber for reference. I've only caught a few. I wondered for years why the limits were so liberal considering I rarely caught one, albeit by accident. As usual, regs finally caught up with angler observations...

If I had to target them; rubber, night, back bays.