Weakfish help

Rate this topic

mydixiewrecked

Never found a weakfish of any size very tasty :shrug:

I think there are those that would disagree, but this resource is too valuable to waste in my opinion. Current regulations are helping this species and if you do target the large breeders in the spring please take extra precautions to return unharmed as these fish are the future...

Steve

Witnessing the same, NS. The breeders have been showing early the last few years where i fish. I've caught them the second week of April. (this year is another story).

Do keep an eye on the water temps. The last few years, i've been getting them as soon as the water hits 50+. The tide didn't matter too much either. As long as that water stayed above 50. It will start out slow but get better with each passing day and warming water temps. I think the magic number is around 55ish. That is when you will get a "steadier" pic of weakies. Watch your water color too and adapt your lure to the water color. The clearer, the more natural. The dirtier, the more you want to throw chartruese, olives, blacks, and even blue. If the water is too dingy, try a lipless crankbait. Rattle trap, Red Eye shad, etc.

There are definitely 5+# trout in Cape May County waters in April, and they eat Bass Assassins, plugs and flies. Like most spring backwater fishing, find a warm outgoing tide that's funneling food to a hungry fish.

Great advice re colors. I like the DOA Shadtails for this fishery (buy them online from DOA in bags of 50) in pink, white, silver mullet and a pearl firetail.

Never found a weakfish of any size very tasty :shrug:

I think there are those that would disagree, but this resource is too valuable to waste in my opinion. Current regulations are helping this species and if you do target the large breeders in the spring please take extra precautions to return unharmed as these fish are the future...

Steve

i think that at this point in time weakfish should be released. That being said, I think why most people don't like the taste of weakfish is that it is not handled properly after they are caught. The need to be iced immediately. If not they mush up real fast and the taste of them goes south real quick. IMO
Still looking for my first 30.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montego View Post

What are breeder weakfish? How big do they breed? Just wondering... I had weakfish once and wasn't a big fan and won't be killing any

Just thought i would answer your question, the breeders are the ones carrying the eggs to spawn. Not sure how old they are when they start to breed.

Just thought i would answer your question, the breeders are the ones carrying the eggs to spawn. Not sure how old they are when they start to breed.

Well thanks captain obvious. What I ment was does a 16 inch fish breed or does a 24 inch fish breed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montego View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayyaker54 View Post

Well thanks captain obvious. What I ment was does a 16 inch fish breed or does a 24 inch fish breed

You asked "what are breeder weakfish" and i told you

They are a beautiful fish..and a blast to catch caught more in the past 2 years then ever before sooo nice to see them makin a come back...And some great info in this thread..picked up some stuff at Asbury yesterday from the tinman that I think are gonna be deadly!! And I ALWAYS CPR these fish!!