Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striper Lover

fishfinder question!

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

hey guys, i need some help selecting the right fishfinder for my boat. so, i will like you guys help me answer some of this questions. i am looking foward to spent no more than 250 dollars. if it is somewhere between 100 and 200 its even better. i cannot affort and expensive one, but i surely dont one something that wont do the work right.

1. which brands are recommended?

2.the higher is peak to peak power the better? what is a recommended peak power?

3.Any other features i have to pay attention too?

4. it seems that the tournament fishfinders have a very good price, does anyone has try and recommends this brand?

thanks in advance for your help

johnn

Get an Eagle Seafinder 320 (about $200) or a Seafinder 480 (about $240). Best deals out there for price/performance/technology, hands down.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Eagle is made by Lowrance.

Check'em out at Boater's World.

sorry to be a pain in the rear end, but i have one more question.

I am about to buy the Eagle Seafinder 320 0r 480DF (got to decide) but its comes to my mind if there is anything else i need to buy to install this unit. If the answer it 'NO' i should go with the 480DF, if the answer is 'YES' i will go with the 320. Let me know what should i expect to buy besides this unit for installion purposes. Thanks! smile.gif

[ 05-11-2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Striper Lover ]

Get yourself a real fishfinder. I would recommend, for your price range, the Furuno LS4100 ($169) with the Airmar 520ST-PWD transducer ($85). With this unit you'll get 300 Watts RMS power (2400 peak to peak). The Eagle 480 is 1200 peak to peak, and they don't even list what the RMS power is, but I'd guess that it's less than 200 Watts. Both units have a 5" diagnally measured screen, but the Furuno has better viewabiity in bright sunlight than the Eagle, even though its resolution is less. As far as the Eagle having the "fish identifier" features, blah, blah, blah... That's all software that interprets the sounder returns, and it makes big mistakes (I've seen it on my friends boat with my Furuno on my boat right next to his). The Eagle reports plastic bags and seaweed as fish. You are better served by learning to interpret the strength and shapes of the returns yourself. After a little practice you'll be able to tell the difference between sand and mussel bed bottoms, as well as the difference between a school of bunker and bass.

Another nice feature of the Furuno unit is that you can connect a GPS antenna to it to display nav data and store 12 waypoints. You can also buy better transducers with temp sensors.

I have used the Eagle Seafinder 480DF for the last year and IMHO is the best bang for the buck out there. It does, in fact, have 4000 watts peak to peak or 500 watts RMS power. Awesome unit!

Just saw a price of $219.00 incl. speed and temp sense.

Bernzy