Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skiddd

Question/Poll: Do you think loud pipes on a motorcycle save lives?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Do you think loud pipes on a motorcycle save lives? Do they warn others in front of you that you are approaching them? I say no they do not. I just bought a bike a month or so ago, it has pipes on it that are not offensive to others(like when you come home at 3am) some are telling me that I need to make them louder. I say thats all BS....... Just curious.

I say no, they distract people and startle them.

Exactly what I was thinking also. I think they annoy people also, who wants to hear that when your sitting down watching a movie or eating dinner with the family....

I'll preface my no with ; I don't ride. I don't ride because one of my best friends was smushed by someone who was looking right at them when I was a kid. Pipes wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference.

Just came back from visiting a friend who had his newly restored 86 roadster smushed while he was on it. Kid made a left turn right into him. He had the loudest pipes I've ever heard. BOOM. Helicoptered to the hospital, be

a year before he walks somewhat normally.

They are annoying! I'd support a ban on loud pipes for cars and bikes.

Some exhaust systems on cars make them sound like a weedwacker or chainsaw...

I'll preface my no with ; I don't ride. I don't ride because one of my best friends was smushed by someone who was looking right at them when I was a kid. Pipes wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference.

Just came back from visiting a friend who had his newly restored 86 roadster smushed while he was on it. Kid made a left turn right into him. He had the loudest pipes I've ever heard. BOOM. Helicoptered to the hospital, be

a year before he walks somewhat normally.

What do you know of the circumstances with the kid. Texting or talking on the phone at the time ? Radio blaring loudly ?

Was the guy on the bike idling at a stop ?

Being heard (loud pipes) wouldn't necessarily equate to more visible, so I'm not sure that would help, but I can sort of understand the mentality. I'd opt for a brightly colored neon vest, if it is purely a safety issue. Tough to look like a bad azz in one of those tho.... :D

What do you know of the circumstances with the kid. Texting or talking on the phone at the time ? Radio blaring loudly ?

According to the kid, no. He just wanted to turn around. He was southbound on US1 in Edgecomb, ME. My friend was northbound, dry, daylight, around 4 pm. My friends headlight was on and his bike was LOUD.

The other one (when I was like 16) was a woman pulling out of her driveway. No obstructed view, broad daylight, LOUD bike (no headlight). She just pulled out and crushed him like a bug. Full body cast for almost 8 months.

I used to ride. I think that anything you can do to help make your presence known can't hurt. I think the stock pipes on a Harley are loud enough. They're not whisper quiet like the Japanese road cruisers, and not as snarly as the rice rockets, and certainly not as offensive as the tricked Harley pipes that sound like a ******* B-17 taking off.

I rode before cell phones and texting and still had more close calls than I would have liked. Riding a bicycle on the shoulder is risky enough--I can't imagine getting on a motorcycle and mixing it up in the midst of today's drivers. :dismay:

I will say load pipes for someone stepping off the curb yes a car with the windows up prob. not.You can have loud pipes and they can be quiet as can be its all in the way you drive.If you drive a pea poppin wound up little cc bike its gonna be loud all the time.

I think that anything you can do to help make your presence known can't hurt.

^^^

Agree.

Quieter pipes make for a more enjoyable ride.

Loud pipes (drag pipes) + V-Twin engine pulsations = rider fatigue.

I say no, they distract people and startle them.

Uncountable times, I have blasted by motorists on the highway and the sudden noise of my drag pipes did startle them.

annoying but they undoubtedly save lives. i know theyve saved mine more than once. this area sucks to owna bike. waay to many bad drivers who made the transition from donkey to car in the past 6 months.