Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
River Rat

NJ Boating Liscence

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I beg to differ, you have to pay for a boat license at the DMV in New Jersey. I believe its 12 more dollars the state takes from us in the form of a fee. You dont have to take a test, just give them money. Now personal water craft are a different story.

In the State of New Jersey your operators (drivers) license must state "Boat" as well as auto. Do not leave home without it wink.gif

From NJDMV

Any applicants born after December 31, 1978, must submit a certificate showing satisfactory completion of a boating safety course approved by the State Marine Police.

Thats all about to change. Before it got put off (but not for too long) they were/are going to grandfather in a license. I'm 35, I would have been allright this year though my younger brothers would have been screwed, next year I would have needed a licence, then the year after it was going to go up to anyone who is like 40.

My question is...do you have to go through all this bs even though I hold a USCG ticket?? My brothers have more time, experience, and tutelage on the water than any sea pig running around in his grey whaler....kinda gets my goat but on the flip side there are too many idiots on the water.

Back about 10 years ago, I walked into the NJDMV and asked for the boat license. I filled olut the form and had the pic taken (boat license requires picture ID license), then just renew as you would any drivers license.

It may very well be for nontidal waters but it does not hurt to have it.

If you wait for the sh.t to hit the fan, you will have to take course and test. It's just a matter of time.

Call it a tax, call it what you want. It appears on your NJ operators license. I strongly suggest that you get it and hold on to it. What have you got to loose.

My 2%

Joe, read the first line item in that DMV (now MVC) link you posted - Terry was right on -

"A motorboat/Jet Ski operator license is issued for operating motorboats or Jet Skis on fresh, non-tidal waters, such as lakes, creeks, or rivers that are not affected by tidal conditions, and is only needed if you are going to operate a motorboat or Jet Ski in such waters. "

I was looking into getting the boating license before something happens as well, But I am deciding to wait as knowing the way our "MVC" works it is likely that they will make a different test/license if this goes through. I'm sure with a set of new charges as well, so rather than pay twice ....

Man, New Jersey gets you for everything! Pay to use the beach, pay to use the roads, pay to drive a boat...what the heck do your high state taxes go towards if everything else is funded by user fees! Thank God I don't live in NJ. Of course, lower Delaware will be just like Jersey in a few more years. Aargh!

Ssndman,

Neither me or you will ever live long

enough toever see slower lower get as

bad as new jersey!.......

and i don't know how old you are.

JP (ex jersite)