Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ambergris

New Evidence - Old Case: Bluefish are Crazy

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

We all know bluefish are crazy. Here's more evidence from Saturday...

Mini explosions in the water

I don't know what possess a fish go three feet in the air to eat a 1 inch fish...oh right...he's crazy.

When I first looked at the video from which these screenshots were taken, I thought he was the one we had hooked....but no, he's just being a bluefish.

Snappers & cocktails are around right now. Try a 5wt for up to a couple of pounds. It's a gas. Depending where your located, they are out there. Count on using a few flies and strip the line like crazy when you're in them, after doing a three count. Mosy durable fly I've used is a super hair construct, olive/white with some silver flash for a lateral line. Watch the bait fish for the right size. Keep your fingers away from them teeth unless you like a knuckle manicure.:D

I think that these bluefish have had their fill of bait fish and have switched their focus to terns.....a more challenging target!.....Another possibility is that they have been communicating with the asian silver carp that jump so much when they are spooked! Lets hope that these 2 species are never able to interbreed!

I think that these bluefish have had their fill of bait fish and have switched their focus to terns.....a more challenging target!.....Another possibility is that they have been communicating with the asian silver carp that jump so much when they are spooked! Lets hope that these 2 species are never able to interbreed!

Seriously, I don't know why you don't see more 1 legged terns...maybe they die fast?

Good question. A hypothesis: fish essentially program themselves to the size/profile/color/typical behaviors of the specific target forage, in blitz situations, to simply the data processing aspect of their feeding and avoid blue-on-blue biting.

So to speak.

Snappers & cocktails are around right now. Try a 5wt for up to a couple of pounds. It's a gas. Depending where your located, they are out there. Count on using a few flies and strip the line like crazy when you're in them, after doing a three count. Mosy durable fly I've used is a super hair construct, olive/white with some silver flash for a lateral line. Watch the bait fish for the right size. Keep your fingers away from them teeth unless you like a knuckle manicure.:D

I did exactly this with snappers yesterday...I'm glad I decided to throw the 5 wt in the car 'just in case'...because the 'just in case' was regarding whether an albie scouting mission would turn out to be a bust...So I left the spot where I was looking for albies and turned my attention to some saltwater ponds which I had seen a lot of 'small fish' surface activity and gave that a shot with my 5 wt...I tied on my version of the Page Roger's 'Slim Jim' tied on a size 2 hook just to add the 'top water' element to the game...and I had a blast...not sure if I could 30, 40 or even 50...just know I caught a bunch

I don't know what possess a fish go three feet in the air to eat a 1 inch fish...oh right...he's crazy.

I'll melt your mind even more.

50-80lb fish were doing the same for 1" sandeels.