Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bbjork

Parsons Beach illegal fish

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I live at Parsons so I'll be happy to take pics of these folks. I usually don't take my phone nor camera to the beach while fishing but if it can bust there folks, I'm all for it. Not sure how pics can be used though but it sounds like these people are ignorant and need to be educated.

Lost510, you can PM me where the bucket is and I'll keep an eye out as like I say I'm down there almost daily and these people boil my blood.

Left a message with the DMR.  Kyle, it looked like it was near the bank upstream of the big downed tree.  No need to go vigilante on these people, they are just people after all.  It would be nice if the DMR could put a stop to what they are doing.  The sad thing is the guy was a good angler and hooking fish left and right.  Too bad he couldn't play by the rules,  then I could have just said hi and complemented him on his skills.

Know exactly where that is. I'll keep my eyes open and would prefer DMR would do what they can with the resources they have than ruin my day of fishing with an argument. I'm assuming they are using bait as I have seen them digging for clams before.

Maine Operation Game Thief is the number I have on my cell phone, I call them TIP (Turn In Poachers).  Phone number calling in state 800.253.7887 calling out of state 207.287.6057.  MOGT, Maine Operation Game Thief, Check it out below, it appears rewards are paid which I think should be donated to like organizations.

http://www.maineogt.org/maine_ogt.html

Here's the contact info for local heat.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/warden_service/index.html

If anyone else can supply more contact info please post, we, as addicted fisherman & hunters, who obey the law and get as much joy out of the catch and not the keep, the see and not the kill, can do more to stop poaching than increasing licensing fees to pay for more enforcement.  I've been fishing since 1957, fresh, salt, fly, spin and bait casting throughout New England, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, Long Island, North Carolina, Florida (spent my HS years in the early 60's surf fishing at Montauk with an original Penn Spinfisher 700, still use it today) etc. and have had my license checked once in all those years by a warden while fly fishing on the White River in central Vermont.  I've seen the great years of Striped Bass fishing, the decline and the resurgence, the disappearance of Weakfish and the number of small bass this year bodes well for future stock so lets do our best to protect it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

This is what happens when we advertise and post pictures of people holding fish in certain areas ,it does'nt take long for people to put all the pieces together.I have fished Parsons Beach for 30 years and was shocked to see 28 fisherman(mostly boneheads) at 5am, last week one morning.The best way to start to get this under control is a Maine Salt Water License,along with a Striper Stamp.I know you people don't want to hear that but it will start to get things under control if they have to fork out $30.00 to go catch a Striper.These same people won,t even buy a freshwater license.This is what I hear every day from people. LETS GO TO THE OCEAN YOU DONT NEED A LICENSE,a poacher will not spend $30.00 to go saltwater fishing knowing that he might get caught without a license .Im 70 years old and retired, fished and hunted all my life and have no problem spending $30.00 for a license to start thining out poachers and thats my two cents.

I post results and sometimes with photo's.  Results are generic and photo's are cropped to hide location.  Thinking back on it 99.9% of photo's, with me holding a fish, is taken just prior to release.  Will not post pictures of dead fish anymore.

Thanks for your comment, it gave me reason to change my photo habits.

I live at Parsons so I'll be happy to take pics of these folks. I usually don't take my phone nor camera to the beach while fishing but if it can bust there folks, I'm all for it. Not sure how pics can be used though but it sounds like these people are ignorant and need to be educated.

Lost510, you can PM me where the bucket is and I'll keep an eye out as like I say I'm down there almost daily and these people boil my blood.

Perhaps put the pics on some flyers with "POACHER" in big letters, and put them up around the parking area, and on people's windshields? :v:

i know the exact couple your talking about i like to fish across the other side and come in from strawberry side and walk over morew than a couple times they would walk down, and i would be jigging in the rip it forms going out from the mouth. thats why i like to fish that side more dont get as many people on that side and it doesnt mess up the bait guys. but he always comes down and literally will walk right out in front of me and throw out bait and fish the bottom and totally screw me up so now i cant fish the way i was fishing. when i say he would be no further than 10' away im not kidding , and his wife would be on shore behind us.if i then went around him he would then go around me , and when i say something to him he forgets english. i am now ready to kill , but remember i am on vacation and trying to relax. but they also are rude and have no care for the law never mind other fishermen, so they deserve everything coming. remember the wardens cant do anything if they dont no whats going on. i do know there is a warden that lives up the street form there.

If half of what is said here is true, then any warden worth his salt would be more than willing to look into this situation.

Stop thinking the authorities are too busy to be bothered. SOMEONE MAKE THE CALL!

Here's anther idea to nail these dirtbags if the Marine Patrol is not available. I'm not sure how they'd handle it in Kennebunk, but I know that here in Ogunquit if any of us "regulars" complained to the local PD, they'd get the ofenders' information and even take pictures of their catch. If the Marine Patrol wanted to pursue the matter later, they'd have enough for an arrest. Several years ago we had a bunch of idiots trying to net stripers in the river. The local PD actually detained the offenders (after some of us tipped them off) until the MP showed up. I don't believe anything major happened to these people, but I can assure you their netting days were over in Ogunquit and I haven't seen one of them since. It was before my time here, but I heard a story of some folks catching shorts while the women fileted them right on the beach. The Ogunquit PD ran them all in for littering and they were turned over to the MP afterwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topside2 View Post

If half of what is said here is true, then any warden worth his salt would be more than willing to look into this situation.

Stop thinking the authorities are too busy to be bothered. SOMEONE MAKE THE CALL!

Phone call was made a few days ago.

Yeah I spoke with the local DMR Sgt. and have his cell number and instructions on what to do now.  Next time I see the poachers, I'm calling the Sgt. immediately and glassing the parking lot to take a plate number if they leave before DMR gets there.  I still haven't landed a 40" fish this year and would prefer to spend the time focusing on that, but I think it would be wildly satisfying to assist in at least temporarily stopping this crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost510 View Post

Yeah I spoke with the local DMR Sgt. and have his cell number and instructions on what to do now.  Next time I see the poachers, I'm calling the Sgt. immediately and glassing the parking lot to take a plate number if they leave before DMR gets there.  I still haven't landed a 40" fish this year and would prefer to spend the time focusing on that, but I think it would be wildly satisfying to assist in at least temporarily stopping this crap.

Thanks lost510 and I'm glad you've joined the forum, I'm new to Maine, only been here for 18 months after 27 years in CT fishing eastern Long Island Sound (some of the best saltwater fishing on the east).  Still getting my bearings and keeping a detailed log.  I've done a fair amount of fresh water fly fishing up here (Rapid River, and the Moosehead Lake area) but the ME salt is new to me, boy would I like to find some smallmouth bass fishing in the area.  I'll be getting some crab patterns for the fly this weekend, have had pretty good luck shore bound here compared to shore bound fishing in CT, I just need to figure out the patterns.  I'll be at Parsons all weekend and will bring my camera in the hopes that we can stop this poaching.

Thanks for making the call, we all need to protect a great resource.

Tight lines.