Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bbjork

Parsons Beach illegal fish

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Sunday afternoon, guy in white clothes and wide brimmed hat took two fish on sand worms off the beach, I didn't see the second but a fly fisher did and talked to him, I then saw him catch a third, I told him limit one fish he smiled and measured fish then released (about 35").  Fly fisher (wearing a wetsuit) has reported him in the past.  He puts fish in black bucket, moves it around the dunes then comes back with a white bucket.  My wife and I left the beach around 6:00 and a very small women (same race as the other guy) comes off the back end of the beach with a white bucket full of stripers.  Many fish around and I hope the wardens monitor this site because there's poaching going on at Parsons.

BTW, school of 6" herring came in with the tide and another fly fisher (friend of Maniac from Arundel) saw two large stripers on their tail, looks like the bait is balling up for the fall run.

I agree. If these perople break the law, they should be reported. If you can, get a license plate number. The Marine Patrol can only be in a few places at once, but they're mobile. I've seen them pull over people, but they have to know about it first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Tinman View Post

You can gripe about it or do something about it. Drop a dime on the guy!

hard to carry a cell phone in the surf, I have the warden's number on speed dial and call when I can.  Didn't know about the women poacher until my wife told me about after I picked up our car, should have been more specific in my original post.

I believe I know who you're talking about. They often illegally fish there and have been reported however from what I heard when the the local warden checked them out, they were clean at the time. Not sure when this occurred as I have seen them around a lot but that is what I was told and me and another fly guy are pissed at them for what they are doing. Next time I see him, I'll be doing the talking to him and I will not accept a smile as "I didn't know the rules" BS.

This is what happens when we advertise and post pictures of people holding fish in certain areas ,it does'nt take long for people to put all the pieces together.I have fished Parsons Beach for 30 years and was shocked to see 28 fisherman(mostly boneheads) at 5am, last week one morning.The best way to start to get this under control is a Maine Salt Water License,along with a Striper Stamp.I know you people don't want to hear that but it will start to get things under control if they have to fork out $30.00 to go catch a Striper.These same people won,t even buy a freshwater license.This is what I hear every day from people. LETS GO TO THE OCEAN YOU DONT NEED A LICENSE,a poacher will not spend $30.00 to go saltwater fishing knowing that he might get caught without a license .Im 70 years old and retired, fished and hunted all my life and have no problem spending $30.00 for a license to start thining out poachers and thats my two cents.

If i saw this happen i would have grabbed that bucket and tossed em all to the crabs!  We dont need people like this around our spots.  Speak up loudly and let em know this **** is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!    nuff said.....im going to parsons now

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhdirt View Post

If i saw this happen i would have grabbed that bucket and tossed em all to the crabs!  We dont need people like this around our spots.  Speak up loudly and let em know this **** is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!    nuff said.....im going to parsons now

I didn't see the bucket, my wife did, she now knows to take down license number. 

Doodle:  Saltwater license and striper stamp, $30.00, totally agree although it may put a damper on the honest fishing folks who come up here for vacation.  Looking forward to more input on the licensing idea.

Hey guys, new to this forum, been lurking here just for about a month to see if I wanted to join.  Seems to be some great like minded anglers on here so why not!  I grew up c&r fly fishing stripers in York, and have a solid 20 plus years under my belt.

BBJork, it was nice to meet you yesterday, the water was real warm, I probably didn't need the wetsuit.  Your post was all correct except I'm pretty sure there weren't any bass cruising the surf up therewink.gif  Those poachers suck.  I've seen them several times before and had words with them.  Next time I see them walking down the beach I'm going straight to my truck to call the marine patrol.

Yesterday, the guy came down the beach, threw 2 casts and caught a skinny slot fish.  He put it on a stringer in about a foot of water and let it sit there for about 15 minutes until he pulled in what was definitely a 30-35 inch fish.  He took the bigger fish, put it in the mud bucket, then walked over and "released" the dead slot fish which floated belly up in the wash for the next hour.  If I had a video camera he would have been busted right then.  Then he took the mudbucket way up river around the bend and out of site,  he came back with the different color bucket and then his lady friend came around a few minutes later with the original bucket, empty of course. I then went and had some serious words with him and his female friends.  They played stupid and argued about the laws, and insisted they had released both fish.  I asked why couldn't you release the 2nd fish right here, you had to go up into the marsh??  I told them I'm a local of 29 years and quite familiar with the regs.  They kept arguing, so I told em to do whatever the f*#& they wanted to, but if I saw them poach again I would call marine patrol.  They caught one more fish in the surf, then BBjork gave em some words, and they packed up the operation to go up river and out of sight of us.  I had to be back in York by 5ish, so I decided to get outta the water a little early and figure out how this operation worked, as I know these people have run in with enforcement before and didn't get busted.  I went back to my truck and glassed the wife walking around way up in the marsh, I think I've figured out where the stash spot is.  I don't want to waste enforcements time coming down there without a bust, I will make sure they get caught with a 5 gallon bucket packed full of illegal fish.  I'm an obsessed striper fisher, so every second without a line in the water pains my soul, but I really think if I can get these jerks to stop ruining our resource it will be worth the time. 

Doodle, nothings gonna stop the crowds, people are stupid.  I think a $100 license would be great and I'm poor and can't even afford it haha.  There are fish all up and down the coast, every where I go I see them.  I think its just lonely angler disorder and some of these people just have to be close to other anglers or they don't feel comfortable.  I saw the 28 people the other day too, funny thing was I walked about 1 mile from that spot and got into some ridiculously good fishing.

Call the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine and ask them to sponsor legislation to establish a Maine salt water license that will generate a revenue stream into the Department of Marine Resources that would support more recreational salt water Marine Patrol efforts. Let us know what they have to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjork View Post

I didn't see the bucket, my wife did, she now knows to take down license number. 

Doodle:  Saltwater license and striper stamp, $30.00, totally agree although it may put a damper on the honest fishing folks who come up here for vacation.  Looking forward to more input on the licensing idea.

bbjork      This is the way I look at that.  Nothing against the tourist but these same honest people have no problem spending $100.00 a day for a ski lift ticket or $200.00 for a lobster dinner,don't get me on my soap box about tourist spending money ,real fisherman would not even blink an eye over $30.00 (the price of six gallons of gas) I fish and hunt NH and NY every year and have no problem spending close to $300.00 in licenses.This is the money that puts game wardens in places like Parsons Beach to catch these skum bags.

They used to do the same thing up in Freeport until Marine Patrol started nailing em. Maybe it's time to get some pics up on here so we all know who we are looking for, never stomped a rod before but that's plenty of motivation for me. If you can figure out if this guy keeps any kind of schedule or videotape all this then that would work very well.

Can't believe my eyes, someone wants to charge for license for saltwater fishing, Like that will do anythng about the poachers. lets pay money for more regulation, briliant!