Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishmael

What the heck was it??

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I was out in Saco Bay today, about a 1/2 mile off of Ferry Beach, and we saw something BIG break the surface a couple of hundred yards away. It sprinted across the surface very fast for 50 feet or so, throwing up spray, It was chasing something. I didn't see any obvious fin.

It was too big to be a blue, and I don't think seals do that. Sturgeon definitely don't. The only thing I can figure is that it was a football tuna.

Anybody have any ideas?

Yeah, I saw a pair of porpoises last year, right off the pier in OOB. We didn't see any noticeable dorsal fin, though. It was also accelerating rapidly across the water for a long distance. I don't think porpoises do that.

Porpoise or seal, I'd guess.  I've seen grey seals down on the Cape just tearing along, I don't know if our harbor seals can fly that fast but obviously all seals look 100x faster in the water than the stodgy blimp look they give sunning on the rocks.

Yeah, mainefinn's probably right - tuna.  I didn't even think of that but like mainefinn I've seen them plenty close and with blues around it easily could have been a tuna blowing up some 'bait.'

Likely a Tuna, I saw a 3-400 pounder completely airborn several times chasing bluefish IN the piscataqua river in the middle of the afternoon, with other pleasure boats around.

Looked like 8 feet long, I know because the wake of this missle rocked out boat.