Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inthered

Beach Buggy Fishing IBSP

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluke07 View Post

It;s a "MOBILE SPORTFISHING PASS", that's why it is issued to people who DRIVE & FISH with their 4-wheel drive vehicle. It is not meant to be a means of ferrying groups of people to the beach to sunbathe or play volleyball or barbecue. That is not to say that if you are actively fishing, yoiu shouldn't be allowed to do the other. Used to be, if you didn't have fishing gear for all the occupants above a certain age in the vehicle, you weren't allowed into the 'fishing areas' of the park (below A-7). Maybe it's time to put the 2nd check point back in at A-7 and enforce the present rules.

i dont get it.  are you agreeing w me or no?  b/c every thing you've said is pretty much what im agreeing with in this thread.  

if all this fuss is over being able to enjoy a cup of coffee...  buy a thermos!  icon14.gif

dirty beach kid, as far as I’m concerned, I have to answer yes and no.

The yes part is that none of us fishermen want the “hey, ain’t this great?-crowd” to be allowed to party-on.

The no part is “... the baby with the bathwater” solution to the problem which DEP themselves have created, by not enforcing the existing remedies.

(BTW, I was the one who mentioned coffee, and from a thermos is what I was thinking when speaking about "actively" fishing).  wink.gif

:hi5:    

first2wins, it is my understanding that, for fishing, one can get into the park at any time, for the prevailing day rate, and parking will not be an issue for you if you haven't waited for when the park opens to other visitors. 

You are correct you can enter the park to fish any time 24/7. But with the vehicle access limited to 500 (I do not know if this rule still stands, or if it just has not been enforced the past few years) once 500 vehicles have entered the park the park is at capacity and is no longer safe to enter. Probably has to do with a fire marshal type ruling. Any way I would say that the majority of my fishing has me entering in off hours. The times I have been turned away from the park due to max capacity were all instances that I came down late afternoon after fishing elsewhere and just wanted part of a tide. I have also entered the park and have had to make a decision to exit or park illegally due to no remaining parking spaces.

You are correct you can enter the park to fish any time 24/7. But with the vehicle access limited to 500 (I do not know if this rule still stands, or if it just has not been enforced the past few years) once 500 vehicles have entered the park the park is at capacity and is no longer safe to enter. Probably has to do with a fire marshal type ruling. Any way I would say that the majority of my fishing has me entering in off hours. The times I have been turned away from the park due to max capacity were all instances that I came down late afternoon after fishing elsewhere and just wanted part of a tide. I have also entered the park and have had to make a decision to exit or park illegally due to no remaining parking spaces.

You can't enter the park to fish if the park is closed because of capacity. They close it when they run out of parking, otherwise 24/7 for fishing. Usually if you have a buggy permit and the park is closed they will still let you in because you don't need parking.

The 500 limit is for buggies on the beach at one time. It is seldom enforced but it may be. .

It is ashame of what I read and hear about up in the Park these days.. And I have to amit it has sent me to other places to fish during peak periods and for the first time in a number of years I did not get a Sport Fishing Permit for there. Can't say I really miss it but it is a awesome place and I hope they get the issues worked out...

Steve

tongue.gif  dirty beach kid,View PostI get your point, but you had missed mine:  intheredView Post I’ll get a senior’s park pass, drive my SUV in for free and, walk the designated access paths to the beach.  smile.gif

At best, the proposal is transparent.  Although the reasoning is contrived, it is easily seen as the means to avoid (what should be) the embarrassment of not fulfilling its responsibilities or, to enable further budget cuts, or both.

At worst, this may the possibly be another car in the train that we are being forced to take on.  The intention to lay track was announce some while ago, about which we had some discussion here.  This was about adding privatized enhancements to the enjoyment of a natural area.

My cynicism allows me to imagine that once the RVs are prohibited on the beach and from staying overnight in the parking lot, then a new vehicle category (RV) will be created along with an appropriate attendant entry fee. 

It’s a win, win, win!!!  biggrin.gif  Realize the true value of one of the treasures New Jersey has to offer:  

• less expense (enforcement);

• increased revenue; and,

• an opportunity to improve NJ’s economy, by privatizing the “management” of the overnight parking lot (by which comes the insult to injury).

shakehead.gif

My cynicism allows me to imagine that once the RVs are prohibited on the beach and from staying overnight in the parking lot, then a new vehicle category (RV) will be created along with an appropriate attendant entry fee. 

There is a precedent for vehicle distinctions already, as it is currently being done in Cape Cod. The Cape Cod National Seashore has two distinctions for oversand driving, ORV (Off road vehicle) and SCV (self contained vehicle). They define SCV as "a vehicle with a self-contained water or chemical toilet and permanently installed holding tanks with a minimum 3 day capacity for gray and black water.". Each has a different price point, as follows:

• ORV Annual - $150
  • ORV 7-Day - $50
  • SCV Annual - $225
  • SCV 7-Day - $75

Up there they also limit the SCVs to certain areas of the beach, and limit them to a 21 consecutive day stay, even if they have a yearly permit.

Is a different price point for campers vs pickups and SUVs the answer for IBSP? I don't think so. i don't think banning campers is the answer either. There is a problem with rules enforcement, and instead of addressing that, they have decided to remove a portion of the population they perceive might be breaking the rules. Fact is, rules violations are occurring with more than just the people who bring campers out there. This "solution" won't fix a thing.

Not quite sure what you are referring to about the '500 cars". The park is closed to day-trippers (non 4wd vehicles) when all the parking spaces are full (bathing areas and all other access areas with parking) and they know that by counting the number of cars that pay at the gate. The park is re-opend as day trippers leave and a sufficient number of spaces open up again.

It has nothing to do with 'fire marshall type ruling'.

As far as you having to leave because you couldn't find a 'legal' parking sapce, keep in mind that open spaces may be at the bathing beach parking lots, not necessarily at the other access areas.

As far as beach buggies are concerned, the number of vehicles on the beach is at the descretion of the Park Superintendent. I believe there has only been one day when the park was closed to beach buggy permit holders and that was several years ago.

i dont get it.  are you agreeing w me or no?  b/c every thing you've said is pretty much what im agreeing with in this thread.  

if all this fuss is over being able to enjoy a cup of coffee...  buy a thermos!  :th:

DBK, I am not in agreement with your comments in previous posts per se, my point was that the existing rules are adequate, they just are not enforced. There is no reason to eliminate RV's from having beach permits, IMO. As far as you having issues with RV's taking up space and not 'actively' fishing during the day, there are no rules, at present against doing that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluke07 View Post

DBK, I am not in agreement with your comments in previous posts per se, my point was that the existing rules are adequate, they just are not enforced. There is no reason to eliminate RV's from having beach permits, IMO. As far as you having issues with RV's taking up space and not 'actively' fishing during the day, there are no rules, at present against doing that.

Fluke,  those RV's that are taking up space are in violation of the "RULES" when they have 20 people having a barbecue and only have 4 poles in their possession.rolleyes.gif

Fluke,  those RV's that are taking up space are in violation of the "RULES" when they have 20 people having a barbecue and only have 4 poles in their possession.:rolleyes:

I understand that, no different then the 8 people sitting by the Ford Explorer or the Chevy Tahoe or the Nissan pick-up truck who have a screened in shelter with 4 dogs unleashed and only have 2 rods out. As I said the existing rules are adequate, they need to be enforced.

I totally agree fluke, I'm not disagreeing with you. Whether it's an RV or any other vehicle, these permit holders are in violation when they don't have the required equipment. My above post was just in response to yours, where you were stating the RV's weren't in violation.smile.gif

Got to agree with the lack of enforcement. Lot of good rules just not enforced.

Mixed feelings on the RV's. They do treat the park as their campground. Some obey the rules others don't. Just as walk ons or Suv's. Again lack of enforcement.

A lot of camper guys do fish hard but with the lack of structure in the park lately, they park in the few holes for days and tie them up so that others have to fish on top of the bars at low water. Make them move every 12 hours. Again who will enforce this. ;)

Seems like just about all the problems we have with IBSP would be solved with enforcement of rules that are already on the books. When rangers used to

bang on camper doors thru the night, most campers who werent fishing would go to the lots to sleep. Now some just hang cuz they know they wont be

bothered. I wonder how many campers would stop buying permits if they were charged more? I'd be pissed if I were in thier shoes. Like most things in life,

ya need to police yourself.