Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishmael

Where the *BLEEP* are the bluefish?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

ran into some snappers last week. big baits kept gettting tapped/stripped for a while,

I sent down a small hook down with smaller bait and BAM, fun little fish on, about 15"'s

I grew up catching these on the south shore of Long Island, in the great south bay, always fun. Heard of a few blitzes of bigger blues off Eagle and harpswell last week.

Jim

ran into some snappers last week. big baits kept gettting tapped/stripped for a while,

I sent down a small hook down with smaller bait and BAM, fun little fish on, about 15"'s

I grew up catching these on the south shore of Long Island, in the great south bay, always fun. Heard of a few blitzes of bigger blues off Eagle and harpswell last week.

Jim

:wave: Greetings from a fellow former Great South Bay snapper fisherman!!! My best friend and I used to SLAY them,

Thanks for the report Jerry. Shore bound or boat? Willing to give up anything else?

All fish caught by boat. I have been snagging up blues for a little over a week now in Phippsberg. The last hour of the falling tide and it turns on.

This afternoon was amazing, I never saw so many in one spot. It got a little crazy with the all the boats running around and some people got a little to excited and forgot others were around. You really had to pay attention to other boats, I just about fell off my boat a few times from guys running full throttle just to get in front of you. I was standing on the bow fly fishing and didn't see the wakes coming.

Besides that, it was a pretty fun day. I finally got to experience a seal coming boat-side and stealing a fish.

:wave: Greetings from a fellow former Great South Bay snapper fisherman!!! My best friend and I used to SLAY them,

Ishmael, I grew up in Sayville, and split time between there and Montauk in my formative years.

Good to know about GSB alum

See you on the shore someday

Cheers

Jim

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the outer end of the Saco jetties with nothing to report other than the sturgeon were very active.

Looked like some bait & small fish occasionally on the sounder. At the end of the jetty the surface temp was 65, up to 68 upstream near Marblehead. Wind was brisk blowing straight out of the river & the tide was running out hard.

I'll be out with high sun and high hopes tomorrow. My Dad is coming down for his first salt trip. Not excited about the wind potential but we'll see what happens and what we can effectively do.

Tore into the blues again today, this time was better than previous outings. Action started around 1:45pm and lasted for awhile it was still going strong when I left around 5:30pm. Even managed to pull out two schoolie stripers mixed in. all fish caught on the fly with a few exceptions (arm gets tired throwing a fly).

It was pure carnage, the guy next us to us broke his 8wt, my dad and me went through four steel leaders, and about ten flies. I don't know how much longer they will be active, but we have no problem taking advantage while there hanging around.

Tore into the blues again today, this time was better than previous outings. Action started around 1:45pm and lasted for awhile it was still going strong when I left around 5:30pm. Even managed to pull out two schoolie stripers mixed in. all fish caught on the fly with a few exceptions (arm gets tired throwing a fly).

It was pure carnage, the guy next us to us broke his 8wt, my dad and me went through four steel leaders, and about ten flies. I don't know how much longer they will be active, but we have no problem taking advantage while there hanging around.

FU :D

Fished Saco jetty & channel with no success this A.M.

Did get hit on a small paddle tail jig inside Biddeford Pool on fast rising tide. Not a good hook up - fish was too small to fully engulf the bait! Switched to small bucktail dressed Kastmaster and small bucktail dressed Hopkins and landed a few 14" to 16" tykes!

Nice morning on the water!