Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishmael

Where the *BLEEP* are the bluefish?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Believe it or not, I like catching blues.

I've been out a dozen times on my boat off the Saco River trying to find some, and nothing!!

Either PM me, or I'll take you out on my boat and you can show me :p

Glad to know it's not just me!  They're supposed to be everywhere off the saco, yet I haven't seen any in the 5 or so days I've been out there over the last week and a half.  What I have seen a bunch of is big stripers.  Key word is seen (the water has been really clear lately).  Getting them to actually bite something is another story.

Was catching them two nights ago just before dusk on the outgoing. First sluggo I threw, bam 3/4'ers gone. Same thing happened to a gentleman I was fishing with both on first casts. After that we changed over to mid and top water, couldn't get a bite. I tied on a small Rapala (white) and had two on the next two casts. Not huge blues but good mid-sized ones. I was searching for Stripers which were elusive as the water is warm.

landed the new boat record bluefish today - 37" and 14lbs. The big blues are mixed in with big stripers. Smaller blues can be had trolling yozuris etc. Landed 20+ bass today too biggest was 36.5". Heard a report from Wells - one boat landed 67 bass during this afternoons incoming tide between 12:30 and 6pm. 50 fish where bigger than 32" with the largest coming in at 42". This is the start of the end boys - get out there.

landed the new boat record bluefish today - 37" and 14lbs. The big blues are mixed in with big stripers. Smaller blues can be had trolling yozuris etc. Landed 20+ bass today too biggest was 36.5". Heard a report from Wells - one boat landed 67 bass during this afternoons incoming tide between 12:30 and 6pm. 50 fish where bigger than 32" with the largest coming in at 42". This is the start of the end boys - get out there.

That's a nice blue! Have witnessed a couple monsters caught recently around the 35" mark. Sounds like the bass are gathering and with the cooler nights, it's showtime! I'll be out tonight, hoping to get into some bass.

Water is still warm, there will be another push of blues in September like a few weeks ago. I would look for them at the mouth of rivers and along the beaches. I've found bigger bass more willing to bite as of late. Almost everywhere I've gone I've also found small juvenile bass, only way to get them is to downsize quite a bit. I really love a fall run but luckily it doesn't get wild for another month.

I ran into a big patch of those little 6 inch snappers yesterday in a creek with about a foot of water in it.  Saw a post about it here, and I talked to another guy who saw some as well.  LOTS of them in Great Bay.  Damn they are funny.  I guess no body told them they weigh 6 ounces, they all think they are the Terminator.

"Attention stripers, now thru October!  All you can eat baby bluefish!  Just drop by and tell em SOL sent ya:"

Worked the beaches and river mouths hard yesterday. Marked fish, couldn't get them to eat. Did get a mackerel trolling which was odd, maybe blues have moved elsewhere. Ran the mack in tight even though he was dead and he got picked up but missed the hook set. It was buddies first time fishing the salt so I figured we'd get skunked....

My dad was up somewhere around Wells last week, and hit up some nice blues. Not much on the striper front, but he caugth a few nice blues, surface fishing, which is always fun to watch. I think one was 33" or so that he sent me a picture of.

Caught what seemed like a hundred blues today, action lasted a little over an hour almost every cast produced a blue at the end. Nothing of any size they were all around 20" or so.