Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

Surf tactics for the NW blow?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What would your plugging approach be for this upcoming weekend? It's gonna blow like hell.

I'll be fishing N.Monmouth. I've dusted off some needles, a couple of bottle plugs. Of course I'll have the usual array of swimmers, tins and poppers. I always seem to have to experiment on these type of days, look for clues and try to find a pattern.

Anybody got any ideas?

I'm shaking with anticipation, no, wait. That's just my 12th cup of coffe kicking in.

I can't wait to get away from this prison of a desk!!!

good luck y'all

mark

Sparky for me I usually throw bottle plugs, and jigs all night when its like this. And it seems like its been blowing hard every weekend for a month. If it is blowing from the west though, it should enable you to throw pretty much anything, since its at your back. But I guess the heavy surf is the key, as well as current speed etc. 2 weeks ago there was zero wind but the seas were like 6 feet, with little current. (I guess it was the low pressure system??) Then the week before the waves were about 2-3 with a whipping current. I had to walk the jig along the beach just to keep it in the strike zone. I think i need to take some meterology courses so I can understand all this.

Good luck Sparky

Im not sure of what I just wrote, but I 'm sure it didn't help you out one bit. Don't mind me, I 'm just thinking out loud. LOL biggrin.gif

Ant

Sparky,

Sometimes the calm conditions can be the toughest to fish in. It's alot harder to fool the fish when the water is clear and calm and the moon is bright . Usually I like to go a little lighter in tackle and smaller in plug and teaser size. Keep an eye on the bait, if it ever shows up. Sometimes the calm conditions will draw the peanut bunker in closer. Might also be a good time to break out the fly rod. Just watch those back casts!

JimK

Ant,

I have the weather thing down pat. I've been surfing these parts since I was a kid. It's trying to anticipate the fishes' response that still throws me at times. The best day of my life, the wind was screaming straight out the south, everyone knows a south wind sucks (?! go figure).I find that these west / northwest can be tough. If the wind isn't too strong, the water gets glassy and the bait gets pushed out sometimes. When it blows really hard, the sand blows off the beach and turns the water into chocolate milk. I've never done well in that situation.

I was just wondering what other guys think.

You're right, casting shouldn't be problem. I've tied a couple of sand eel pattern teasers to try out, I'll see how I do. I'll start with what seems to fit the conditions and play it from there. I like to go up a size when the water gets churned up a little. So I'll probably be throwing some wood and larger plugs, 7" bombers etc....

Just wondering if these conditions put a shadow of doubt in anyone else's mind. That shadow of doubt can be the kiss of death... do you smell skunk? I've said it, I'm doooooooooomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try fishing a plug a teaser rig without the plug.

Instead add 2-3 oz. round sinker were the plug would be.

Right now I would go with a rainfish pattern. But as they say. "It ain't the meat it's the motion that makes that momma wanna rock."

Hell a rubber band would work.

Searcher, NYC.

Got out early this morning. Fished 2 hours before sunup, nada. 2 shorts after sunup. The wind wasn't as bad as predicted, though it was picking up when i left, supposed to switch to North at same speed tonight.

OK, I got another one. What about barometric pressure and pressure changes? Anyone keep this info in their logs?

I've made some observations for freshwater, but what about the salty species?

The fall fishing seems more dependent on bait movement than weather, but I can't back that up.

Not looking for secrets here, just input.

Thanks,

mark

...The fall fishing seems more dependent on bait movement than weather, but I can't back that up. Not looking for secrets here, just input.Thanks, mark

Hello Mark,

After reading your question... It's a loaded one. wink.gif

OK, let me cut to the chase! For starters... This is the time to really pay close attention to the STRUCTURE, WIND, BAIT and TIDE.

1) Know the STRUCTURE you are fishing because it's a fish holding place...

2) The WIND will dictate your position where you are going to fish...

3) The BAIT is key to locating your quarry...and lure selection.

4) The TIDE will dictate when you are going to fish ....

Now... As for the "LURE" selection... Well, you need to know what's around this time of the year. Another words, if there are cows chasing big bait around... Ya need to toss BIG plugs or eels. If you see decent size bass chasing peanuts, spearing, sandeel... You probably want to toss various mid sized lures....like swimmers, plastics or bucktails. Here are the "general /common" rules for the following lures...

1) Surface: Swimming plug

2) Mid surface: Plastics

3) Bottom: Bucktail

Another important factor you need to understand this time of the year is MIGRATION PATH....

What do I mean by that? Well, locate the fish (movement / ledges /cuts ) + find the bait!

If you find this combination... You are gold and your catch rate will increase greatly!

Hope this helps a bit. wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

[This message has been edited by Crazy Alberto (edited 10-27-2001).]

I have always had luck on a NW until this year I can't even catch a cold. Usually the bait is up on the beach on a outgoing tide. I just need to dress like a kook and maybe I will catch a fish. Case in point, this mornin I get a late start and decide to fish one jetty instead of the other. Yep, you guessed it some guy walks on the jetty and first cast catches a 36 inch striper. Never saw him before and never will again. That was his dumb luck fish. The sun rose and that was it. All I got was seaweed and a "lecture" about how good it has been. I really just wanted to choke this guy and let his fish go.

I fish the NW wind just like any other wind - except my lures go much further smile.gif

Calm, clear, well lit conditions often call out the "n-Clear" bombers - black-n-clear, green-n-clear, etc. If ya wanna do a number on these stripers when they are choking themselves with rainfish, take a black-n-clear, color the sides and belly with a yellow or orange magic marker - there, I said it, secret's out wink.gif Sumthin' about yellow/orange when the rainfish are gettin' hammered that they really seem to enjoy smile.gif

TimS

When the water's flat from westerly-type winds, I generally have luck wherever I can find some white-water. Worked last Sat for me...hopped from bar to bar on the outgoing and worked plugs/teasers around them at all angles, especially in tight to the beach...

------------------

---- Facin' East, Reel Ranger ----

---- Secretary - Shark River Surf Anglers ----

The NW wasn't as bad as it sounded like it was going to be. Didn't mean that to be a loaded question, just a little too broad, I 'spose.

CA, I fish mainly the Flatlands, truly flat where I am. The only structure for miles is the lack of structure. The beaches have all been filled. This can be helpful this time of year. As the bait exit the bay and start heading south, they tend to stick very close to the sand.

I know all too well that there's no silver bullet. Just curious of other's opinions. I think Tim hit it on the head with the "clear". It was choked with rainfish in my neck of the woods all weekend. There were plenty of small blues to be caught on any sort of tin. The bass were pretty fussy, as to be expected. My only success was on clear, foil type plugs and limited success on a teaser. If I had a nickel for every guy I saw throwing a popper to no avail.....

Thanks for the input, I'll remember that marker trick.