Suzuki outboard water pumps/impellers

Rate this topic

iko iko

I've got a 2000 - 70hp Suzuki with 115 hrs. Now that I'm coming up to its 5th season I guess it would be prudent to replace the water pump/impeller assembly. Is this a job for the backyard mechanic or should I not consider replacing it myself and sign over my paycheck to the local dealer?

A water pump on an outboard is not a very difficult job. If you are mechanically inclined I would take a swing at it.

They usually sell the water pump parts in a kit that will have all of the gaskets and whatnot that you will need in addition to the impeller.

I would purchase a factory service manual for the motor, that will have the water pump replacement steps, and other stuff taht will be useful later.

I agree with Kml....not a very big job if you are mechanically inclined. For sure get a factory manual and use OEM parts, not aftermarket. On my Evinrude the OMC kit costs about $60 and includes every gasket, o-ring, and new housings as well as the impeller. The complete job from start to finish without rushing only takes about an hour. Of course the first time was different. I think it took me an hour just to figure out how to disconnect the shift rod.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI -

If that engine is still under warranty (it might be 6 yrs) then you would have been responsible to replace the water pump impeller every season according to the terms of the warranty.

Suzuki sells a pump rebuild kit, in NJ try browns point marina. They have online ordering.

You can definitely do it yourself - I did one at the ramp one time in less than half an hour. Get the manual and OEM replacement parts and take your time. There are no tricks or expert knowledge needed to do the job.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave.