Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

In need of local help

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey fellas. I have use of a condo in Brick (near Point Pleasant) from Aug 17-22. I have never fished Jersey and since this is going to be the only vacation I can afford to take this year I'm really hoping to be able to make the most of it. A couple of things I'm looking for is a fishing friendly beach that won't be crowded (does it exist?) and maybe a safe (dry and flat on top) jetty that I can bring the wife out on. I fish all species but am unfamiliar with some that yous have down there (weakies,black drum,shark!,etc.,would really like to hook into a big drum if possible.they look strong!) I will also be renting a small boat for a day for crabbing and maybe fishing the backside. Any tips to point me in the right direction as far as species available,tactics and general location would be very much appreciated. PM's would be awesome......................Thanks in advance.-Everett

not likely with the black drum but you never know.

from the beach with bait you can expect to catch fluke, blues and sea robins. with smaller bait kiingfish and croakers. there should bea few school size bass around here and there weaks are possible i guess.

there are no safe jetties. the inlet on both sides has blacktop and if you fish off hours you should do well. bring a light rod, while you are crabbing throw small spoons or poppers for snapper blues.

not sure of any beaches down that way that you can fish all day. most beaches make you leave when the lifeguards come out.

bad news then on the beaches and jetties,huh?...........supposed to be spending time with the old lady but want to fish too..................................hoping for a location where she can sit out in the sun while I fish.........................appreciate the heads up though,thank you.

Various places to fish at the inlets,the canal. Fish the beaches at first light or after 5 pm when the lifeguards go home. 20 minutes or so to the south is IBSP you can fish and the wife can lay out in the sun.

Stop in at fisher mans supply they can point you in the right direction. check google maps there are some areas. I wouldn't rule out a trip on a party boat during a week day. There is a dog beach in the bay you can fish all day but it's a dog beach so your wife won't be impressed. Plus the dog owners give you looks.

Check out the Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan side, for a flat dry jetty as long as it's not screaming NE. Parking sux, get there early or prepare to walk a bit or feed the meter. Weekdays there's probably less boat traffic on the inlet side, weekends are a zoo. Most local beaches don't require a badge before and after the guards, some let you fish the non-swimming/surfing areas even when the guards are on. Sharks at night is your best bet for anything large although those pesky rays can be rather entertaining.

Okay,beaches early and late,Manasquan Inlet,IBSP and definitely gonna try for a shark a couple of nights. I'm pretty much set. Just have a couple of more questions are gorilla blues around and can they be had from the beaches? And do you guys get the albies and bones from the beaches there? Also a starting point for shark fishing would be great. Inlet/breachway or beach? Sorry for all the questions,only been on the east coast for a few years now,never been to Jersey. All the info from everyone is much appreciated,Thank You!

Okay,beaches early and late,Manasquan Inlet,IBSP and definitely gonna try for a shark a couple of nights. I'm pretty much set. Just have a couple of more questions are gorilla blues around and can they be had from the beaches? And do you guys get the albies and bones from the beaches there? Also a starting point for shark fishing would be great. Inlet/breachway or beach? Sorry for all the questions,only been on the east coast for a few years now,never been to Jersey. All the info from everyone is much appreciated,Thank You!

no bonefish in jersey.

right now you can find:

fluke

bluefish of varying size from snapper to cocktail

resident stripers

palegics (if youre lucky)

rays

sharks

during the day i'd throw a small metal with a teaser, or a bucktail with gulp.

at night throw chunks for rays/sharks

... and definitely gonna try for a shark a couple of nights. I'm pretty much set. !

I assume you've got the heavy duty tackle required for this type of target ?

we were fluking last week and hooked a 5' thresher that eventually staightened the hook before saying bye-bye

he did get brought up close though

if you want monster blues I think your best bet is a night trip party boat

there are sooo many options. blackfish, fluke, possibility of albies (bonito very rarely mixed in, and sometimes spanish macks as well)...sharks/rays

key to fishing the beaches is before 9:00 or after 5:30 usually. no badges, less people in the water, etc.

HEAVY gear for the sharks

i live in brick, feel free to pm me for some specifics if youd like