yogiiiboy

How bout some pics of those Bucktails !!!

Rate this topic

2,099 posts in this topic

Hmmm..... How do those Got Stryper tails work with the bucks ?

i cut them down a little and match them to the bucktail size. i have caught fish with them nothing real big yet very low 20 s. the Ron zees work very well and the 6 inch curly tails have gotten me some larger fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockbox View Post

i cut them down a little and match them to the bucktail size. i have caught fish with them nothing real big yet very low 20 s. the Ron zees work very well and the 6 inch curly tails have gotten me some larger fish.

Buck tails matched with an added tail like a Berkley Alive should increase results a lot im assuming.

Thats something that i never understood.  Why is dark colored plugs or buck tails work great at night?  There is no light out, maybe the moon, so how can the fish see something dark like this?  Assuming the buck tails are not scented.

Thats something that i never understood.  Why is dark colored plugs or buck tails work great at night?  There is no light out, maybe the moon, so how can the fish see something dark like this?  Assuming the buck tails are not scented.

Fish don't need more than the stars . a small amount of available light lets them observe all that goes on. there sight seems to be very good on the darkest of nights,

evil,,,next time your on the beach at night hold up a black plug and a white one to the sky and youll see the black one better....

since we are talking bucktails i have a question . i truly don't love the paperclip snaps on my bucktails . i do use them .they go on and off very easy. but alot of times i think they are to much terminal tackel for the bucktail .They can also change the action of the bucktail in certain conditions. many times i would rather direct tie which i do when i find what color is working the best. i have also found that when big cows are in the surf or inlet it is best to direct tie it insures one that he will not loose the fish of a lifetime because your clip or snap came apart. i have had a paperclip come apart on a fish. the conditions were in very rocky areas where i had to pull the fish through the rocks. kind of over a few which were slightly out of the water. this happened prior to using paperclips with most other snaps . through the years i have lost some very large bass because of snaps opening. that is why i went to the paperclips they are very good it only happened once so far .I do feel the paper clips change the action of a bucktail sometimes. due to that reason i try to direct tie as much as possible,. what do you fishermen and women feel about this.

Evil-

it's the "shadow" that it produces....think of a fish laying or cruising the bottom and looking above -----the darker a lure is, the more it produces a darker outline of itself.....................

I tie bucktails in many different weights. i tie each weight for different water conditions. when fishing in the bay looking for weakfish i tie a tight bucktail where as the hair is not flaired it stays close together . the bucktail will sink faster and i get many more strikes from weak fish because of color and tightness of the bucktail . i tie others very hairy ( very think )these bucktails are made for a slower sink in the water column when fishing an inlet on the beach or in the bay.I also tie a close tie in these same 1,2, 3 and 4 ounce bucktails. i have taken new ties put them in a vice and hammered the head of the bucktail kind of squaring the head .this is to ****** its speed while on the bottom of the inlet water column.. i noticed many years ago that i was getting many more strikes on a bucktail which was used for a few nights after looking at that bucktail which was still in very good condition except that the head was crushed from hitting the rocks while retrieving it so many times each night, so i do crush the heads on many of my 3 and 4 ounce bucktails before use. as much as my love for wood and plastic are known the almighty bucktail is on the top of my list. of one of the greatest lures ever made.

Try flat house paint color brown head n hair with a white trailer, red thread.

(srsly, I **** you not)

Won't catch fishermen but the bass love it.

Along with a few other color combos I liked on here, I had a half dozen made of these I think adding a white trailer adds some sea robin look to it. Big fluke should jump all over it. I hope they don't mind that it's not flat brown like you suggested. 1000

Along with a few other color combos I liked on here, I had a half dozen made of these I think adding a white trailer adds some sea robin look to it. Big fluke should jump all over it. I hope they don't mind that it's not flat brown like you suggested. 1000

Nice color. I like Appliance White(Beige) with a couple of coats of clear over it. C2