yogiiiboy

How bout some pics of those Bucktails !!!

Rate this topic

2,163 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delaware surfman said:

Some of mine I tie up at the beach place while drinking coffee, 

0FCE539B-4F00-49CE-A52F-9ED96C76502E.jpeg

92FFD146-A57A-481F-932A-FE969A6E15C9.jpeg

B41F7B9B-77FF-427C-98A1-9CDCF0ACF8F3.png

D3B8C68D-4A0D-4C30-A5F5-0526E5755242.jpeg

What is the vise you are using? I’m trying find something simple that clamps on to the table, and that looks great. It looks very old, or just well used! :)

Dan is correct, old brace and bit, well no bit, lol. Cost $10 total and holds from 8/0 smiling bills or 2/0 teasers no problem. 
The top picture shows how I cut it off and welded on a 4 inch,I think, C clamp. 
It rotates to tie and look at all side and can spin it for sally Hansen or epoxy, although I don’t use epoxy, 

Alright, be gentle now... tied a couple at my first attempt at bucktails. Had a tough time keeping stray hairs from getting in my thread wraps, but hopefully will get better in time. The whole whip finish tool thing super frustrated me!! :mad:

D1AEF543-70F2-4C4E-B1B7-C40BA290E94D.jpeg

On 2/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mack26 said:

Alright, be gentle now... tied a couple at my first attempt at bucktails. Had a tough time keeping stray hairs from getting in my thread wraps, but hopefully will get better in time. The whole whip finish tool thing super frustrated me!! :mad:

D1AEF543-70F2-4C4E-B1B7-C40BA290E94D.jpeg

Trick to whip finish is use another piece of thread or light braid, lessen the tension that you use and cover it well, then pull the tag end through. I'll throw up some pictures in a bit, been tying a few today.

32 mins ago, Grayson said:

Trick to whip finish is use another piece of thread or light braid, lessen the tension that you use and cover it well, then pull the tag end through. I'll throw up some pictures in a bit, been tying a few today.

Thanks Grayson, appreciate that! Videos make it look so easy, and it probably is, but i’m doing something wrong. 

35 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Thanks Grayson, appreciate that! Videos make it look so easy, and it probably is, but i’m doing something wrong. 

Grayson is describing how to finish the wraps without using a whip finishing tool.  It’s the same as finishing the windings on rod guides.  I use the same method.  Leaves a nice flat wrap.  A whip finisher sometimes leaves a protruding knot.

21 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Grayson is describing how to finish the wraps without using a whip finishing tool.  It’s the same as finishing the windings on rod guides.  I use the same method.  Leaves a nice flat wrap.  A whip finisher sometimes leaves a protruding knot.

I did watch a couple of videos about that Dan, and was wondering if that might be easier. I’m so new to this, that everything has a learning curve for me. I just want to learn to tie nice clean, looking bucktails, and do it the easiest way possible. I’m sure it just gonna be practice.

13 mins ago, Grayson said:

What Dan said, I picked it up from rod repair before I started making jigs. Few Cobia jigs I tied today, just lacking eyes and epoxy

15818055317118011509985004958478.jpg

Those look great, love the colors!