TBD

Moon

Rate this topic

727 posts in this topic

I thought we had a "Moon" thread :confused: Couldny find it, so I am posting my first attempt of just the moon here.

This is from a few minutes ago.

We really needed a Moon Thread. :th:

I enjoy the technical stuff and it's fun to try an squeeze as much as you can out of the equipment and the Moon is great for that.

Here's one from the last full Moon, best we could do.

Jim offered some suggestions when I first posted this and I plan to try them when we get a clear night.

Nikon D800 F8 , ISO100, 1/320 shot at 200mm

moon1.jpg

Thanks. Here is one from July 24th

Very nice moocks.

Looking forward to trying some shots at different phases but the Summer Haze has made it tough.

Hopefully Fall and Winter will provide some good chances.

The wife's modest 70/300mm Telephoto does a great job with almost everything, but the Moon pushes it to the limit.

We actually can get slightly better sharpness at 200mm and it softens up just a hair at 300mm.

Someday maybe a high end Lens but $$$$$ :scared::scared:

Here's the full frame of the shot I posted earlier.....not a lot to work with..

Fully zoomed in live view using Manual Focus we can get it ok, but I wish the focus ring had more fine tuning ability.

As it is, just the slightest movement changes the focus a ton.

FullFrameMoon-XL.jpg

P&t does the 800 have a manual focus magnifier?

The brand I use has 7.5x and 15x magnifiers available with their in camera manual focus magnifier software (which is a big benefit to me with my old eyes) plus focus peaking (which is only good to get you within the ballpark quickly). But with the moon it should just be a infinity focus setting and should not require much tweaking. The key is remembering the earth and the moon are traveling extremely fast and to make camera adjustments accordingly.

]P&t does the 800 have a manual focus magnifier? [/b]

The brand I use has 7.5x and 15x magnifiers available with their in camera manual focus magnifier software (which is a big benefit to me with my old eyes) plus focus peaking (which is only good to get you within the ballpark quickly). But with the moon it should just be a infinity focus setting and should not require much tweaking. The key is remembering the earth and the moon are traveling extremely fast and to make camera adjustments accordingly.

I don't know....never heard of it..:o....I will look.

I know what you mean about the focus should just be infinity....but I do seem to be able to make a very slight improvement Manually, don't know why.

Actually the Moon shots are about the only ones I've found where I can improve over the Camera's Auto Focus system by going Manual.

Next step will be to give up some ISO to gain Shutter Speed to take possible Motion Blur out of the equation.

I just did a real fast spot check and it does not appear as if you do have a manual focus magnifier with the 800..... I see a lot of birders using hoodman loupes with the 3x eyecup to check their focus in the back LCD in live view but I have not been up there since the new Nikons have been out.

Those guys keep the hoodman eyecup setup around their necks and use them constantly. Might be a good thing to look into to verify your final focus. I know I am very dependent on my focus magnifier system and in all stationary targets I verify focus manually. The only time I rely on auto focus is on moving subjects that I have no choice but to shoot strickly in auto focus. On my camera body the closest button to my thumb is setup as a AF/MF toggle and is my most used button on the back.

I just did a real fast spot check and it does not appear as if you do have a manual focus magnifier with the 800..... I see a lot of birders using hoodman loupes with the 3x eyecup to check their focus in the back LCD in live view but I have not been up there since the new Nikons have been out.

Those guys keep the hoodman eyecup setup around their necks and use them constantly. Might be a good thing to look into to verify your final focus. I know I am very dependent on my focus magnifier system and in all stationary targets I verify focus manually. The only time I rely on auto focus is on moving subjects that I have no choice but to shoot strickly in auto focus. On my camera body the closest button to my thumb is setup as a AF/MF toggle and is my most used button on the back.

Jim, pardon my ignorance but are you referring to viewfinder magnification or Live View?

When we try Moon shots we use a Tripod and Live View.

We zoom the Live View screen in as far as it will go, 23X. Then the moon is very large in the screen and you can use the arrow keys to center your point of interest and manually focus.

I think you could also plug in a small, high resolution monitor and mount it to the tripod if you were interested in super precise focusing and preview.

I imagine you would need a battery pack for that but I'm not sure.

I think you could also plug in a small, high resolution monitor and mount it to the tripod if you were interested in super precise focusing and preview.

I imagine you would need a battery pack for that but I'm not sure.

Ive been thinking along those same lines... Saw a 7" Pyle on CL and:idea: I have not looked into it

Either way P&t .... Which ever way your brand allows you to verify manual focus accuracy prior to the shot. The brand I use allows this in both the viewfinder and the rear LCD screen and all views are a constant live view! I honestly pay little or no attention to other brands and how or if they can accomplish the same or similar things my gear does. Along with this I also don't spend much time researching what other brands can do that mine doesn't. I am far from a gearhead and will take a picture with whatever I have in my hands. Sometime while I am with students these differences can cause a bit of confusion for a minute or two until we find our common ground :(

The Canon and Nikon birders at Conowingo are constantly verifying IQ and initial focus accuracy ( on eagles stationary feeding in the surrounding trees and power lines) with their Hoodmans and magnifying eye piece... It is a unessential accessory for the equipment I use so it's a item I see them relying on that I just notice while I am doing my thing. Never researched it any further than this.