Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; August 2012

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

We again went looking for the Silver King…this is not your typical fishing hunt and certainly information about this type fishing on the DelMarVa is scarce at best… The lack of info is rooted in 2 reasons…first, the catching of the Silver King is so damn rare in these parts that very, very few fishers bother to try… The other reason is that old standby—secrecy—a subject unto itself.

Our first day of fishing was cut short within an hour because of approaching bad weather and lightning!

Day 2 was slow! We tried lures, cut bait and live Spot…nothing! Didn’t see not a one of those lantern jaw fish! Several weeks ago we saw about half dozen…all looked quite large! They were just rolling on the surface and totally uninterested in any offerings we made.

Later on day 2, fishing cut bait I hooked into something that I was thinking was a nice size biter… After a short time the fish surfaced and I was quite surprised at what was at the end of my line…a large Red Drum! The fish was measured and quickly released….a healthy 46” x 28”… Speaking w/ a few locals later that day I found out that several other large Red Drum were caught recently…boat and surf…

And just when you thought that the record summer heat and off the radar screen surf water temps would certainly delay catching these fish we discover Giant Red Drum are here and there… Now we know where here is, but where is there? ;)...

Poppy

Took my daughter to the beach Monday before school started and fished while she played in the surf. Close rods with fbbw caught kings and spots in the wash. Couple nice size blues and sharks on mullet chunks. Walked one big rod with a king head out to the first bar and casted past all the breakers. Walked back and set it in the spike. While rigging another rod it doubles over and drag is peeling off quick. I got it out the spike and thought it was a big biter. After fighting back and forth for 10 minutes, I finally see what I was hooked up to. A nice Red the had to be 40-50 lbs. Knot broke at the mono braid connection trying to get it out the surf so never got to measure it. Luckily the weight came off and the hook will hopefully fall out (ff rig). Couple more sharks and packed up for home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakkadad View Post

Went out front last night - caught a bunch of spot and a 10" spec. First one of those I've hooked in a long time.

Cool...specks have been awful rare lately, nice catch!

I went out yesterday and caught some bubba KF on the incoming.

On the way out I noticed a set of tire tracks on the wrong side of the posts starting somewhere around Little Levels and continuing in a straight line  all the way to the entrance.

Made by someone that was totally unaware of OSV protocol I guess.

It was a disappointing end to a really nice day on the beach.

Fished AI for a few hours today with fishbite bloodworms and mullet. Had a nice initial run that I hoped was a red but ended up being a good size southern sting ray. Don't remember a ray running as long at this one did. Only other catche was this striper...about 12 inches or so.

it has been several weeks of insane bluefish blitzes. there has been small stripers mixed in and the guys casting bait have been catching so many big croaker. puppy drum have been mixed in here and there. the last few weeks I have experienced , multiple times, periods lasting up to three hours where there is a bluefish every cast. In the last three weeks I have caught more fish than I have in the last two years. The amount of 2" silversides is impressive. two weeks ago the blitz was so thick that for one hundred square yards there was a blue fish EVERY SQUARE INCH.

Fished CHSP last evening from 6P-2A. The beach was quite empty when we arrived and after sun down I think we may have been the only ones out. When we got there the surf was almost non-existent with a west wind and incoming tide. We set out to catch some bait for the evening and pretty quick caught some skates so we rigged one up and took it out about 400 yards. The current out past 200 yards was fairly strong on the incoming tide. After about a half hour I notice the line is going way down the beach so I get on it and crank it in but nothing there. Something had to pick it up due to the style weight I had on and it would not just wash. So I took the bait back out and dropped off again. About an hour later again my line is going down the beach again so this time I decide to walk and reel and see where it is. I get about ¼ mile away from our spot and I can tell now we have something. I didn’t have a belt on me so it was a fun tug-o-war but we were hooked up to a 5’ sandbar. Clean hook up in corner of the jaw so is was an easy release and on its way it went. We ran out another bait but this time only maybe 200 yards. Soon after we had another hook up and my buddy got his first shark a 4’ sandbar with another clean hook up and release. All this action was all around high tide. Throughout the night we had one bite off on casted bait and two more pick up and drops on casted and kayaked baits. Dogfish were plentiful through the night.

Blzck flies worxe then I ever seen them,yesterday and today.

Got deet?

deet doesn't help... I went out this morning, no wind, horses where going nuts... only 70 trucks on the beach and they where coming off in droves.

I didn't get past the air pumps, met my buddy to deliver a rod to him, turned around and came home.

hope the wind picks up onshore... may go back out