Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; August 2012

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

Caught one in the surf last week while throwing the net.

[img=

Also brought home half a five gallon bucket of bait by the time I was done. All vacuum packed and ready for September. Need some cobs now.

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1458023/width/1000/height/1000]

Was finding schools of mullet fairly regularly in the wash but the main schools were just outside the bar. Something big (sharks?) were slashing through them too sending hundreds of mullet through the air! Flung a 2 oz. Hopkins as far as I could towards them and could just barely hit the outside... no takers though.

Since the first of the month I fished a couple days and a couple nights…

Water temps in the surf were as high as 81 degrees…

During the day, it was slow…just a few Croaker and Whiting… The small Blues were no shows.

At night, a couple of nice size biters in the 5’ range along w/ a smaller “nail banger” biter…a first for me out of the surf…most unusual for these parts.

Bugs are biblical right now…a modern day pestilent to the surf fisherman…you have been warned!

Poppy

Hooked a Tarpon casting for Spanish in Buxton years back on a gold stingsilver off the beach. Using 10 lb line it jumped once while I was being spooled in seconds. Luckily it came unbuttoned. What a surprise rush that was. I can still see that fish. They get close to the beach thats for sure.

yeah they definitly come around down there. I hooked into a hundred pound one (or so) live lining 12" blues off the beach in Avon. About 2 years ago. 50 lb braid drag tightend down. line was screaming. he ened up taking everything though.

Wife took the baby to the inlaws before school starts back again, so I took off work Friday and fished for a few days.

Fished the beach Saturday from 7 to 5. Bugs weren't horrible. Caught about a dozen keeper kingfish up to 15". Bunch of small spot and one or two pompano. Shark baits went untouched. Caught a few pompano in the cast net including one that almost went in the cooler. First I have caught in MD.

One short flounder on the bayside Saturday on gulp. Stained water and schools of mullet everywhere made it a slow pick. Got a few dozen mullet for the freezer, but got greedy and shredded my net in the rocks. Surprised to get about 6 short tog and a 10" sheepshead in the net while chasing the mullet.

Not a bad trip at all, but September can't get here soon enough.

CJ

2 CJ's from Mount Airy MD...  whats up CJ 2 from Mount Airy

Fished Henlopen beach with a research team from DSU and DSF on saturday night and got 4 Sand Tigers and 3 Sand bars ranging from 5 feet to almost 9 feet.  Fun trip! good times on the sand.

I went south and then east looking for the rarest of the rare…the Silver King on the DelMarVa P.

They are finical fish...we tried a little bit of everything, but didn’t catch any. But I saw them and that in and of itself was worth the time and effort!

Also fished the usual haunts…little to report…

Poppy