Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kooky

Anyone have a dog tear an ACL?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

My 11 yr old yellow lab "Odin" tore his ACL. PLanning on getting the surgery to repair it as he is a loved family pet and has been the most wonderful dog. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the surgery with thier dog and what was the end result. The vet tends to paint a rosy picture of being "back to normal", but they also benefit from the "sale" of the surgery and give no real guarantees of what post surgery results will be. Thanks for the input!

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1455767/width/1000/height/1000]

I have not had any experience. However, you might want to take a look on the "Retriever Training Forum" ..... just google retriever training forum and go from there. I train labs and use RTF frequently for training advice. There are a number or professional and amateur retriever trainers who frequent the forum. There are a number of threads ... use the search feature .... on ACL repairs. Bottom line, ACL tears and repairs are fairly common ..... and many of these dogs are working field trail dogs who return to a very rigerous training and trialing schedule. The surgery is fairly straightforward. Lots of experince with various rehab techniques with a very high success rate. There are posters on the site from all over the US. You might even be able to get a recommendation on a vet to make the repairs. I would think that you would want to identify a vet who has a lot of experience with this particular surgery.

I don't have too much info for you, but my cousin has 2 english mastifs, the older one who weighs 200 pounds blew out her ACL when she was 3. He brought her to the best vet and spent big bucks, but the surgery didn't take .. after a couple months she had to go back and get it re-done.. She seems to be doing well now and it back to walking around the yard. Sorry I don't have more info for you..: good luck

My last dog had both of them done.  When the vet did the first one, they said there was a good possibility that the second one could go at any time due to over use and additional strain.  I never thought twice about doing the surgeries and she was fine after the surgeries.  She was close to 100% after the surgeries but she was younger when she had the ACL's done.

Good luck.

My Lab had both knees done. The operations were done about a year apart which I was told was going to happen because the dog favors one leg.

I had them done by Dr. Berzon at the West Hartford Animal Hospital in West Hartford, Ct. Thankfully I had insurance for my dog which paid for about 1/2.

He had those done when he was around 4 and is now 13. Both went well.

Hi Kooky. I work at a veterinary hospital and would not hesitate to jump to surgery if it were my dog. We do many ACL surgeries each year with very good results. There is always the risk of complications and over the years we have seen a couple of dogs that have had a reaction to suture material, but that is about it. The most common mistake people make is not keeping their dog quiet for a long enough time after surgery. "Odin" will likely have more problems in the future if you do not do surgery. It is hard to give guarantees on any surgery as with all living things nature sometimes throws you a curve ball. More than likely he will have some problems with arthritis in that knee for the rest of his life due to the changes that take place and most dogs are on Rimadyl or some other brand of NSAID plus a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement of some sort. We call in a board certified surgeon and the total bill for the last patient was $2400. The larger referral practices will tend to be much higher, but that may be your only choice. Go with a surgeon that does a lot of ACL repairs. They will be the most up to date on the best techniques and have the most up to date equipment. And yes, I would do the surgery even if I did not work at a veterinary hospital. If you need/want any more info shoot me a PM. And good luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses and encouragement. He is a huge part of our family and i want to give him the best shot of living out the rest of his years as happy as can be.

Hi Kooky. I work at a veterinary hospital and would not hesitate to jump to surgery if it were my dog. We do many ACL surgeries each year with very good results. There is always the risk of complications and over the years we have seen a couple of dogs that have had a reaction to suture material, but that is about it. The most common mistake people make is not keeping their dog quiet for a long enough time after surgery. "Odin" will likely have more problems in the future if you do not do surgery. It is hard to give guarantees on any surgery as with all living things nature sometimes throws you a curve ball. More than likely he will have some problems with arthritis in that knee for the rest of his life due to the changes that take place and most dogs are on Rimadyl or some other brand of NSAID plus a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement of some sort. We call in a board certified surgeon and the total bill for the last patient was $2400. The larger referral practices will tend to be much higher, but that may be your only choice. Go with a surgeon that does a lot of ACL repairs. They will be the most up to date on the best techniques and have the most up to date equipment. And yes, I would do the surgery even if I did not work at a veterinary hospital. If you need/want any more info shoot me a PM. And good luck!

Thanks for the info, it is very nice to hear. That cost was the about the same as the estimate I got and they said the estimate was probably on the high end. The surgeon they have mostly does ACL repairs and so that is good news also. they had said he would have some arthiritis due to his age and the nature of the injury but with excercise and good care after the surgery it could be minimized.

Thanks Again

my jack russel hirt his acl about 3 yrs ago, he was 4 luckily he did not require surgery. Good luck to you, I;m sure your dog will be fine and back to normal post surgery

My dogs hasve never had the surgery done, but I was a vet tech for about 8 years. As a general rule older dogs do not heal as well as younger dogs , and once the first knee is done usually the second 1 has to be done also, do to them over using that leg after surgery. You really only have a 50/50 shot at the surgery being a success. If left to heal on its own they usually do okay , they will limp some but by 11 years old most labs have arthritis anyway and already limp. Also not to be negative, but you didn speak about the vet painting a rosey picture , but 11 years old is getting up there for a lab. Just the same is with people older animals do not tolerate anesthesia as well as younger animals. Just my 2 cents from working with a vet for years.

Never had that surgery for the three dogs I had ...two aussies and a mixed lab...spent thousands of $$$ on other ailments even when they were all up in your dog's age ...never used their age as a decision maker ...they were always treated as part of our family so whatever it cost to make them comfortable was always spent on my best friends...RIP my Disney & Molly.

Just to circle back and thank the people who gave advice and support on this thread. We are close to 12 weeks post surgery and Odin is doing fantastic. Toughest part is keeping him from getting too wound up. He was cleared from the surgeon on his last visit to start building him up to full activity level over the next few weeks. No limp at all and he does not hold back on his activity level at all, we have to do that for him. First night and first few days post surgery are brutal, they never tell you what a mess your dog is the first night you get him home. But sticking to the re-hab and a lot of TLC and it he is as good as new. :D

Common injury.

Most likely your dog will be lame for life without the surgery....then rupture the opposite leg.

Most surgeries are successful.

Have a board certified surgeon doit, not your regular vet.

There are never any guarantees with any surgery...can't put a dog on crutches.

Common injury.

Most likely your dog will be lame for life without the surgery....then rupture the opposite leg.

Most surgeries are successful.

Have a board certified surgeon doit, not your regular vet.

There are never any guarantees with any surgery...can't put a dog on crutches.

Dude, read the post above yours. The surgery is done and the dog is well on the mend. :squid: