Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TBD

American Phenomenon with Beach Fires

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

My fellow SOL members, I never understood the american phenomenon with beach fires. Especially when its 90 degrees out and one would imagine on such a night if you are fortunate enough to be at a beach, why trade beautiful salt air, with a stinky fire fueled with wet inferior fire wood that smokes more than it burns.

Bad enough, nothing worse than strolling down a beach and nearly stepping into a buried fire with hot coals that are still hot.

I could understand a beach fire when the temps are dropping and you need to keep warm. But, on a foggy muggy hot night, makes no sense at all.

As you can see, I love the smell of salt air, why destroy it with a stinky fire :confused:

TBD

They must start enforcing he no fire rule. I don't like them myself, but you see them everywhere, and people think it is the thing to do.

The beach is also polluted by all the un-burned logs, logs cause snags in the water, potential for flat tires, potential for fires when they lit them close to the dune area.

I don't undertand it.

Beach fires hold a special spot in my memory. When we were kids my mom and dad, my brothers and I would fish Jones beach and meet up with a bunch of his buddies, no cell phones, no cb radio, just look at different lots till you found the "smart money". We would treck off to some far away formation carrying all kinds of stuff including a US Army pup tent. During daylight it was my brothers and my job to gather fire wood for the fire that would start at dusk. That burning salt soaked wood held an aroma that is dear to me. It was the meeting place for all the guys taking a break from casting. I built a fire pit at my house that my son and his friends use and Thanksgiving evening family kids are gathered around, no cell phones or video games allowed or needed.

You don't have to understand it. And you don't have to like it. Just let other people enjoy it. Walk upwind, wear sandals if you're scared of stepping on a coal or stay inside till the fire's out.

I'd consider moving to Shirley or Mastic Beach a little bit further away from the beach and the annoying fires :D

I love making a fire on the beach. My fires are always in a container and I never leave anything behind. One of the biggest problems I have seen are people not using a container and burning skids, leaving a pile of nails behind!

El Segundo,Cali of all places...the city installed nice fire pits every 50 yards or so along the beach for people to enjoy. Guys sell bundles of firewood off the back of pickups in the street alonside the beach. Get there before dusk, claim a pit and have fun. Outstanding :th:

I used to live in Newport Beach. Where is that in relation to where I was?

Between Marina del Ray and Manhattan Beach. The foot of Imperial Highway; you fly right over some of it when you leave LAX.

Dockweiller Beach :huh: