Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

What is this?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Looks either like a gouge or a chip in the finish. In either case I would lightly sand down the entire butt wrap and then re-coat. Try to work some epoxy into the gouge to fill up the space. This may take several coats. Eventually it will fill in. Then sand it down one more time, tack it off and apply a final coat.

The tie off is not long enough on that wrap, and the entire patterns compressed and slipped on teh blank causingthe epoxy to crack and seperate like that. I have a keychain of broken rods withthe wraps that were on them, I cut the wraps in half on my bandsaw and EVERY one of them the wraps compressed like this where I cut the wrap (you can see teh bare blank peeking out) I'm sure if you sight down the rod you will see the epoxy smooth right up to the point of this split, then it will be ridged or bumpy or wrinkled looking - however you want to describe it.

How to fix it - the wrap won't compress past a certain point so more than likely it's not going to get worse. Even if you put a coat of finish over the top, it's still going to look like crap. Next time you do a wrap make the tie off longer.

You may also be too loose on the tie off. I like to start with a few fairly loose turns at the inside of the tie off so it blends in well with the crosswrap threads but then I start making each turn of the tie off tighter and tighter so that by the last several turns the tie off is very tight with lots of thread tension.

The tie off is the part that split. I holds the threads in the wrap to the blank. Salt, even with a lot of tension, if you don't make the wrap long enough you still run the risk of this happening if the tie off sits on top of threads and/or you CP the wrap prior to tying off.

You can see my keychain here where I cut teh wrap in teh middle, teh blank is sticking out because the wrap compressed.

This shouldn't be deleted, there is good info in here which I took teh time and energy, not to mention my knowledge and experience to post and help out other rodbuilders.