youngun

Stripers on a 6 wt?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

The Graveyard Shift,

Don't I know it. Luckily my fishing spots are nearly all sandy bottomed. And I never go fishing without my headlamp and wading staff!

I fish a six weight from time to time and enjoy the sport. Early spring stripers, fluke, blues and summer strangers like the banded rudderfish. Sea robins pack a wallop when six weight fishing while walking the surf in shorts with the kids. Had a 8 or 9 pound striper on the four weight snapper fishing this Oct. More of a straight line fight no rod action to speak of. Shad on the Delaware River is the best on a six weight! Thanks to Richie F.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, saltyh2ofly said:

I fish a six weight from time to time and enjoy the sport. Early spring stripers, fluke, blues and summer strangers like the banded rudderfish. Sea robins pack a wallop when six weight fishing while walking the surf in shorts with the kids. Had a 8 or 9 pound striper on the four weight snapper fishing this Oct. More of a straight line fight no rod action to speak of. Shad on the Delaware River is the best on a six weight! Thanks to Richie F.

I had a huge American shad take me into the backing on my 6wt. I have a few I use in the salt but only for small blues, weakies, shad, herring, and dink stripers. I fish often with a 7wt for weakeis and schoolies but mostly use an 8wt. 9 & 10s come out when warranted. I look at it like this....If I am fishing for tons of tiny blues or dozens of spikes and I MIGHT hook a 24" striper....ill go with the 6wt for the fun factor. I dont go after fish bigger than I feel the rod can handle in a timely manner.