Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reel em in

Jeep Wrangler Tires

31 posts in this topic

Hey, just had a thought - don't just go with "recommended" tire sizes. Check your rim width, a lot of tires will fit, google some of the 4WD sites, look at tire specs (width & dia.). Sometimes you can add an inch or two hight just by modifying the springs, which opens up your tire choices & gives more ground clearance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeBI View Post

Maybe it's time for new rims?

Na enough is enough. Already doing brakes, front differential work, battery, shocks, and other service work

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeBI View Post

Hey, just had a thought - don't just go with "recommended" tire sizes. Check your rim width, a lot of tires will fit, google some of the 4WD sites, look at tire specs (width & dia.). Sometimes you can add an inch or two hight just by modifying the springs, which opens up your tire choices & gives more ground clearance.

I want to keep stock height so they tell me biggest tire I can go is LT 265 75 R16

I hate metric tire sizes!! Those metric sized stock tires on your rubicon are basically equivalent to a 31" tire.

Personally I would go a little bit taller since that jeep is geared so low (4.10 axle ratio and then the 4:1 low range transfer case), the jeep will have no problem at all with a little taller tire and you'd get better gas mileage by a hair.

It would be a shame to see anything less aggressive than an AT on a rubicon!! Although you could probably go anywhere you wanted with road slicks as the rear axle has a gear driven limited slip (no clutches to wear out) and with the flick of the switch you can lock the front and rear axles.

I've been using BFG AT/KO for 12 years on my 99 Sahara - relatively quite on the highway and work great on the beach, not to mention snow. I will be buying my third set in a year or two. Never had a flat with them -3 flats within six months of new with the OEM Goodyear tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjma View Post

I hate metric tire sizes!! Those metric sized stock tires on your rubicon are basically equivalent to a 31" tire.

Personally I would go a little bit taller since that jeep is geared so low (4.10 axle ratio and then the 4:1 low range transfer case), the jeep will have no problem at all with a little taller tire and you'd get better gas mileage by a hair.

It would be a shame to see anything less aggressive than an AT on a rubicon!! Although you could probably go anywhere you wanted with road slicks as the rear axle has a gear driven limited slip (no clutches to wear out) and with the flick of the switch you can lock the front and rear axles.

Informative post.  Seems you know something about wranglers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Tj View Post

I've been using BFG AT/KO for 12 years on my 99 Sahara - relatively quite on the highway and work great on the beach, not to mention snow. I will be buying my third set in a year or two. Never had a flat with them -3 flats within six months of new with the OEM Goodyear tires.

Looks like you are a satisfied BFG customer. I was leaning toward BFG but xjma the fellow who posted above said BFG has weak sidewalls.  Its ironic that you posted here because about 3 years ago in a thread Wrangler Question you had a picture of your Wrangler.  I said to my wife that's a nice looking buggy and look at those tires.  Thanks 

I have a 2008 patriot that's trail rated I put on new tires last year. They are the Assurance triple tread. So far they are the best overall tire I have ever used on a truck. Great in the sand rain. They are good in the snow too. Like every one said if your just in the sand a bald tire is best that's wht I really like them. Not sure if they still make the Fortera triple treads

Thou I personally dont like Firestone the Destination AT's have been rated super high over the past few years and they are less expensive compared to the Revo AT2's and LTX MS2's....may want to check them out.

I have been looking at Pirelli Scorpion ATR size LT 265 R16.  Good rating for the sand. Not an aggressive tread. Trying to find somebody who has them in stock to see if they have a rim protector.  Anybody have an opinion on these Pirelli tires?  Thanks

have always been a big fan of the BFG all terrain tires, i have had them on at least 6 different trucks including a CJ7 and never had a problem with them.

for your situation though i would be looking for a big wide street tire, i had a set of goodyears years ago on a 3/4 ton suburban. i think they were about the size of a 33 x 12.50 and with the street tread i hardly ever even had to air down the tires.

I have been looking at Pirelli Scorpion ATR size LT 265 R16.  Good rating for the sand. Not an aggressive tread. Trying to find somebody who has them in stock to see if they have a rim protector.  Anybody have an opinion on these Pirelli tires?  Thanks

Very good tire, I have a set of 265X70X16s (About 31") sitting in my garage that I ran for 4k miles before my truck had a growth spurt & I installed Larger tires.

When my truck was stock height I ran a set of 30" Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for 50K with no issues, Nice quiet ATR tire that was excellent in the snow, sand & On the Highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ted527 View Post

have always been a big fan of the BFG all terrain tires, i have had them on at least 6 different trucks including a CJ7 and never had a problem with them.

for your situation though i would be looking for a big wide street tire, i had a set of goodyears years ago on a 3/4 ton suburban. i think they were about the size of a 33 x 12.50 and with the street tread i hardly ever even had to air down the tires.

Those are wide tires but I am a little apprehensive about getting tires with street tread.  Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrr View Post

Very good tire, I have a set of 265X70X16s (About 31") sitting in my garage that I ran for 4k miles before my truck had a growth spurt & I installed Larger tires.

When my truck was stock height I ran a set of 30" Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for 50K with no issues, Nice quiet ATR tire that was excellent in the snow, sand & On the Highway.

That is good to hear. Plus one.  Could you tell me if they are LT size and do they have a rim protector?  Thanks