Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reel em in

Jeep Wrangler Tires

31 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon.  I want to purchase new LT 265/75 R16 Load Range E Tires.  Narrowed it down to Good Year Silent Armor or BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO.  I am leaning toward BFG tires because I believe they are more for airing down, but Good Year has a good deal going.  Almost $160 less expensive.  I drive 8 months a year on sand, air down, never on highway.  I never air up.  The Wrangler is not my primary vehicle.

So which tire do you think is better?  Thanks.

I have had BFG's on 3 different vehicles 2 being YJ wranglers and felt they were the best all around tire you could get. I do not have any experience with the silent armor but my brother put them on a 3/4 ton Ram and they were quieter that the OEM tires

If you are just using it on sand you do not want and aggressive tread. I would suggest an all season tire. You don't want to dig in - you want to float over the sand.

From what you just posted and listening to conversations over the years they say a good set of radial tires or bald tires but not going to do that. I am going to have to think this out again why I went down the road on the above two tires.  Thanks  

IN MY OPINION!!

I have never had a Good Goodyear tire, I purchase 4 vehicles over the last decade that had Goodyears as the OEM tire & hated them all, nothing but trouble for me, flats, uneven & quick wear, hard to balance, nothing but problems.

BF Goodrich make a good tire, Michelins are even better (Probably the best tire out there in my opinion).

If you want a good Lower cost SUV tire, Lately Firestone seems to have gotten their act together.

Good luck

I've been 4-wheelin' for 30 years, had a CJ-8 for 15+ of those & my favorite tire is the Goodyear Wrangler AT & AT/S. I drive in everything from mud to ankle-sinking soft sand to highway & have always been happy with them. They air down well & are very durable.

Happy Jeepin'!

I have a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon.  I want to purchase new LT 265/75 R16 Load Range E Tires.  Narrowed it down to Good Year Silent Armor or BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO.  I am leaning toward BFG tires because I believe they are more for airing down, but Good Year has a good deal going.  Almost $160 less expensive.  I drive 8 months a year on sand, air down, never on highway.  I never air up.  The Wrangler is not my primary vehicle.

So which tire do you think is better?  Thanks.

You're buying a tire for the sand, no? Why load range E? Are you carrying a lot of weight? You don't want aggressive tread for the beach so AT tires are overkill IMO. Perhaps a cheap, suitably sized highway tire is a better way to go. Speaking as an engineer, I think you over-engineered this decision. :)

Carry on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Baiter View Post

You're buying a tire for the sand, no? Why load range E? Are you carrying a lot of weight? You don't want aggressive tread for the beach so AT tires are overkill IMO. Perhaps a cheap, suitably sized highway tire is a better way to go. Speaking as an engineer, I think you over-engineered this decision. smile.gif

Carry on

I like the way you ended your reply. That is exactly what my wife says. You are over thinking this. I do want tires with strong sidewalls because driving not only on sand but also driving in the back bay marsh land when I go clamming.  You have to drive on broken shells, reeds, sticks, branches and sometimes  driving though water. When I look at the tires when they are aired down 12 lb and they are bulged out, it makes me think I need strong sidewalls. Thanks

I had load range E tires on my Chevy, the sidewalls hardly bulge until you let a lot of air out. Don't get the heavy wall tires on a Jeep, they will drive you nuts, if you need to go to 12 lbs. now, your tire won't be bulged hardly at all, the bulge is the reason for airing down. Perhaps try running what you have at say 15 to 18 lbs. and see how you do. I hardly ever go below 20lbs. in my Tahoe. I also agree with the above post, no sharp or hard edge tires in the sand, I've always done much better with a rounded edge profile, doesn't seem to dig in. Three Jeeps, two Tahoes, two Chevy Pickups and thirty three years driving on the beach, I've learned the expensive way on what tires I like. No Engineering here, I'm an electrician!.....Jack

PS Still miss my last Jeep, the Scrambler CJ-8, I'm test driving a 2005 unlimited this week, just have the jones for a Jeep yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

I had load range E tires on my Chevy, the sidewalls hardly bulge until you let a lot of air out. Don't get the heavy wall tires on a Jeep, they will drive you nuts, if you need to go to 12 lbs. now, your tire won't be bulged hardly at all, the bulge is the reason for airing down. Perhaps try running what you have at say 15 to 18 lbs. and see how you do. I hardly ever go below 20lbs. in my Tahoe. I also agree with the above post, no sharp or hard edge tires in the sand, I've always done much better with a rounded edge profile, doesn't seem to dig in. Three Jeeps, two Tahoes, two Chevy Pickups and thirty three years driving on the beach, I've learned the expensive way on what tires I like. No Engineering here, I'm an electrician!.....Jack

PS Still miss my last Jeep, the Scrambler CJ-8, I'm test driving a 2005 unlimited this week, just have the jones for a Jeep yet!

When I first purchased the Jeep I tried airing down to 18 lb then 15 lb and I kept bogging down.  So I went to 12lb and never had a problem since. Rounded edge profile. I will keep that in mind Thanks

I just bought a new used truck and went with the Michelin LTX MS2's.....was a big fan of the Bridgesone Dueler Revo AT2's but these Michelins blow them away!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stresst View Post

I just bought a new used truck and went with the Michelin LTX MS2's.....was a big fan of the Bridgesone Dueler Revo AT2's but these Michelins blow them away!

Not available size I am looking for.  Thanks