Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freedom

Electronics Box

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to purchase a new boat that will have a T-top. I was considering putting a electronics box on the T-top for the GPS, fishfinder and VHF rather than mounting them on the console. I have heard some negative things about the electronics boxes and wanted to hear what you boat owners have experienced with them. Do they obstruct your view,do they whistle and rattle, do they rot out and rust? etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Freedom

Freedom, the box is the only way to go in my book. Getting the instruments up over head was the best thing I ever did. I now have tons of room on top of my console where I just put stuff I need to get at all the time. Look around for a box that is ALL glass, no wood except perhpas for a teak trim around the plexiglass door. I am 6'3" and the box does not obstruct my vision at all. I did chop about 5 inches off of the depth of the box last season though, it is safer to have the box as far away from your head as possiblewink.gif. For 8 years at least once or twice a season I bash my forehead on the thing when paying attention to something else and running in a chop. I got my box from some guy in NC, but there are several people that produce a nice box locally now if you look around a bit.

[This message has been edited by Michael P (edited 03-21-2002).]

I'll second putting everything up in the box. Though I would rethink it if I could flush mount everything on the console. Though your electronics will stay much dryer up there. I like it b/c you can see the scope and chartplotter from the cockpit where I dont think I would be able to see it if it were on th console. I flush mounted everything in the box, came out great and looks sharp.

I'll disagree on the need for a solid glass box...mine is a powdercoated aluminum box. Looks much sharper, and have had no issues with chipping or corrosion even though I've taken it down several times for various reasons. I think its a birdsall box, much bigger than any of the glass boxes available, and better lines I think.

Good luck.

Mako, I was referring to the avoidance of wood and lining of any type when I said all glass box, your aluminum one fits my recommendation also. The box I have holds a Sitex CVS-106, Garmin 215 GPS, 2 Icom radios, an Apelco DXL 6600 Loran, copious amounts of chart storage and room to spare even after I reduced the depth of the thing by 5 inches! It's a nice, big and strong box that was finished to match that of my hull, all for about $125.

Maybe because I'm a little shorter than Michael P (by half a foot or so), I like to keep my fishfinder and GPS flush-mounted in the console, while radios, radar, etc. stay up in the box.

I find it more convenient to scan the lower-mounted instruments, that I look at frequently, without craning my neck up to the T-top box. However, having said that, putting the fishfinder up in the T-top may have kept the sun off the screen a little more, and allowed me to read it a bit easier on bright days.

Also, I heartily endorse what Michael P pointed out: Wood is no good!

Thanks fellas, I am 6'6" and will have to have my T-top customized so I do not rap my head all the time. If I go with the box I will need 7' clearance under the top so I have good visability.

Freedom

I also like the radio in the upper box and the gps and fish finder in the lower box on the console. Much easier to glance down while your cruising then to try and look up.

I am not going with a electronics box, and will tell you why. I too get a sore neck looking up. I can understand the ease and getting everything out of the way, but my top of the center console is really wide, and besides the T-Top was made to stand inside and look out to view fish from, so my mounting a box would sort of hurt that activity. I bought a semi-used 240 Bay Scout boat, and I think I am going to need to sit on my hands to keep from waving to everyone, I am so happy. I had a new model 192 Scout, and this one , by far exceeds my expectations. The guy who I bought it from said, electronic boxes are nice to have , but since the T-Top is made as a viewing post, it would stop that from happening. I will however need to watch my electronics from steping in the wrong place. When I weighted both ends of this problem, I would like to keep my viewing station and not get the electronics box. I am sort of short, 5'9" and I hate looking up at stuff all day long. Fellows I really appreciate the info, and will certainly use this site again to gain answers.

I have an electronics box, something you may wish to consider do you wear glasses to read? I have a feruno FF,CP & GPS and it's mounted on my dash. I did buy a sun shield for it. I have my stereo/ipod and radio in the box. The clarity is much better in a box, easier to read and out of harms way. My box is lockable, so things like cameras, wallet, boat documentation, Ipod, flares, first aid kit-pliers, lighter etc are all out of view, semi water proof and just simple will not be airborn if you were to hit some waves or wakes.

I recommend it. As far as line of site goes, I am 6'4" and it really does not impede my vision of fish or other boats/structure. something you get used to and this when I am standing.

also thumbs up is a T-Bag for PFDs and rain wear

View PostI should have mentioned that I can flush mount my electronics on the console.

Freedom

I put a new hardtop on my boat last year and it has an electronics box. I have installed 2 gps units, one recessed in the helm and one installed in the elctronics box, after about 3 trips, I stopped turning the one on in the elctronics box, I just found I used the gps in the helm station and very seldom ever looked at the second display. I did have a second radio installed in the electronic box and am glad to have 2 of each incase one fails.

Wish I had one, great way to keep electronics out of weather much better security if the bad guys don't know what you have less likely to take it. If you are not on a trailer makes even more sense. A good place for speakers and if you are handy you can flush mount on apiece of starboard or something, very nice looking installation. Also easier to remove & take indoors for winter. It's the way to go IMO.

O'D