Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperSurg

lock jaw

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Where you in the rocks, saw two lights out in the middle around 2am?

Fishing was better the night before, wind and waves makes all the difference but I was able to get a few last night, they only took the black needle. Taking a break but hopeful for the rest of the week.

Rob I heard about your excursion the other day, sucks, but we both know we'll get back on them soon enough.

Atlas, depends on which rocks you are talking about, more sand than rocks.

45" middle of the afternoon July 4th, bait fishing with clams.  Another photo of a fish I didn't catch, cropped to protect the innocent and location.  Fished for two hours, nothing.45 inch July 4, 2012.jpg

Rob I heard about your excursion the other day, sucks, but we both know we'll get back on them soon enough.

Atlas, depends on which rocks you are talking about, more sand than rocks.

No sand, rocks and seaweed. Still

hanging out there. Still hopeful. things are good.

fish are finicky right now for sure, we did really well all day last friday, but the past few days low light only action, and no light no action . big moon last night produced for sure.

Lots of fish around, bait is getting ridiculous all is good.

Its good to be a fisherman right now,

have fun out there.

Cheers

Jim

Got down to the boat at 0430 yesterday, looked like the parade lap for the Indy 500. Guys killing themselves to get out there, dead low, no running lights, LOL. We fished the outer islands of Casco Bay and Broad Sound. So nice, low light, foggy, drizzle, crashing surf. Tried live bait, dead bait and plugs. I hate the smell of skunk in the morning.

I've been having no luck early morning either lately.. seem to be getting a lot of action in the middle of the day.. usually a few hours after tide out.. i've been fishing like crazy lately and have no luck outside that time range.

I haven't been out as much as I'd like this week but the past couple weeks have been of a similar pattern to what most of you are saying. I do most of my fishing right around dark, little before, little after and often fish until the wee hours of the morning. I've been seeing the majority of my action after dark and almost everything caught before then seem to be shorts in the mid to upper teen range. Same thing goes for the night bite, whether I've been catching 1-2 fish or a handful, the bite slows down to a crawl right before/after sun up. I've always been of the theory that night time is the right time but here in Maine, especially on the weekends, the fact that most beaches are overrun by tourists during the day makes it pretty difficult to go out and soak bait anywhere. If I do get out for a morning or mid afternoon trip, I tend to focus my attention more on the rivers/marshes. All in all it's been a GREAT season off the beach so far though so no complaints....my buddy and I are on pace to shatter last year's catch numbers and he already has a 40+ and lost what he thought to be one significantly bigger than that. The best part has been the size range of the fish we're seeing, anywhere from low teens upwards of 40+ inches and everything in between.

fish are finicky right now for sure, we did really well all day last friday, but the past few days low light only action, and no light no action . big moon last night produced for sure.

Lots of fish around, bait is getting ridiculous all is good.

Its good to be a fisherman right now,

have fun out there.

Cheers

Jim

that is part of the problem IMO

Colder water temps and a boatload of feed

gotta match the hatch as they say

The hatch has been matched - yet no bites. When you also offer them live Mac's, which is considered Striper Candy, and they don't even want that, something else is up.