BassChasers

What lure works well when there is seaweed present ?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I was going to make a million off this but now I'll give it to you. My ball head bucktails are better at keeping away from weeds but when even that won't work I take a piece of copper wire about a foot long and bend it in a quarter of the length from each end then bend it back in the middle so the other bends are next to each other. Now thread it through the eye of the swivel that is between your braid and your leader. Give the wire a twist at the swivel and bend the ends out at a 45 each and opposite each other. This won't keep you out of the grass but will give you a shot at letting a fish find your lure and if you find a snag or too much weed the wire will bend and come loose.

Peace

When im fishin shads or buc's & its pretty weedy but i don't want to move due to being at prime real estate i have in the past switched up from my tiny 130# spro barrel swivel to a big bulky one (not sure of the brand or size). The bigger swivel helps trap the weed allowing me to remain un-fouled for a longer period of time through the strike zone.

On 7/3/2012 at 10:16 AM, RedJeep said:

I was going to make a million off this but now I'll give it to you. My ball head bucktails are better at keeping away from weeds but when even that won't work I take a piece of copper wire about a foot long and bend it in a quarter of the length from each end then bend it back in the middle so the other bends are next to each other. Now thread it through the eye of the swivel that is between your braid and your leader. Give the wire a twist at the swivel and bend the ends out at a 45 each and opposite each other. This won't keep you out of the grass but will give you a shot at letting a fish find your lure and if you find a snag or too much weed the wire will bend and come loose.

Peace

Almost a decade later and I’m just seeing this... sounds like a great idea! I’m not entirely sure I’m visualizing it correctly though, any shot you could post either a video of the the bending process or maybe just a picture of the final product so we can see what you mean? I think I get it but not sure.

Edited by nickd9283

This is the time of the year that made this necessary. When you get done bending it should look like an anchor. VV. 14 Gage should work just fine, bare wire will have less resistance when casting.

Peace

26 mins ago, RedJeep said:

This is the time of the year that made this necessary. When you get done bending it should look like an anchor. VV. 14 Gage should work just fine, bare wire will have less resistance when casting.

Peace

I gotcha. So basically it becomes a scoop that picks up the weeds before the lure to help clear a path. 2 questions...

1.) have you caught fish this way? I ask because although it would certainly help keep the lure clean, does a big clump of seaweed moving 3 feet in front of the lure not spook the fish?

2.) when the “scoop” get loaded up with weed but the lure is clean, can you still feel the lure working and pulsing? I ask so I know whether or not it’s a guessing game as to whether there’s weed on the lure or just on the scoop

planning to try it out regardless but figured I’d ask

Move. It was weedy the other night but I was able to work a plug for a bit until it picked up weeds. At the top of the tide it was unfishable. Weeds were terrible.  I was walking back to the truck, picking weeds off my line as I was walking. In the dark my eyes caught a patch of weeds moving. Turned on my light and those weeds were really a skunk. It was a fishless night but I almost literally got skunked.

Hogy Jigging/Popping Soft plastic 9", rigged weedless (offset 9/0 straight shank worm hook) Hit it with Bob Smith Industries Glue & one squirt of kicker. Tie direct. Drop the swivel. BAM!

On 10/1/2020 at 9:46 AM, nickd9283 said:

Almost a decade later and I’m just seeing this... sounds like a great idea! I’m not entirely sure I’m visualizing it correctly though, any shot you could post either a video of the the bending process or maybe just a picture of the final product so we can see what you mean? I think I get it but not sure.

Another alternative is to just take a 2" piece of 30# mono, thread it through the swivel, and tie an overhand knot so about 1" of mono sticks out from both sides of the swivel. When small bits of vegetation move along the line, they will hit the mono and usually be shed as the little "propeller' spins through the water. 

This is obviously only good if there is relatively small amounts of matter in the water.

Lots of seaweed - better off moving to another spot.

Limit the hardware. 

no swivel

no snap

single hook lures...  

try to determine if weed is on top, mid, bottom or all three of the water column and adjust accordingly. 

TBH, I would keep walking and find some clean water. Try on the other side of a jetty (if you can find one) or move a few towns south or north to find cleaner water. 

or go to bed and save your energy for another day. 

peace,

Erik 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2012 at 7:02 AM, Wayne Tj said:

Even if you use a lure/plug that picks up less weed, you'll still have your line catching weed and it will slide down to your lure. The only option is to move.

this 100%

move down the beach or another bend or eddy