BassChasers

What lure works well when there is seaweed present ?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Last night I hit the beach for a couple hours around sunset.  Unfortunately everything I threw I kept getting seaweed caught around the hooks and head of the lure.  So does any lure work in this situation or is it just something you have to deal with.  I tried metals, metal lip swimmers, poppers, pencils, bucktails.  I didn't matter that I didn't catch anything.  It was just nice being on the beach at that time...thanks.

Rick

When its weedy in close I use poppers or other top water, if you still are getting cabbage trying moving.

Only other choice I would think would be a sluggo or hogy rigged weedless :huh:

Not the same as surf casting, but....

A few times, on very weedy nights, about 50-150 yards upriver from the surf, I rigged slug-gos to drag on the bottom. This was done with the jighead hook barely exposed, but in a way it would pop out if pinched/bit. I retrieved with my tip down (sometimes in the water), which kept the line submerged, too. The slug-go slid along on the flat side, and gathered almost no weed.

It was a cloudy, 1/4 moon night, and several times when I lost track of where my lure was, I scared myself thinking an eel was about to slime over my bare feet.

This was done on a sandy bottom, though. I am unsure of conditions where you fish.

Also: I wonder if float/drifting bait might also work for a few minutes at a time?

I had this problem yesterday, fished to spots and the 2nd place was just filled with seaweed and other junk. Tried a popper, diver, jig...all snagged huge amounts of seaweed, so I finally hiked it up the beach and found a clear spot. 

Even if you use a lure/plug that picks up less weed, you'll still have your line catching weed and it will slide down to your lure. The only option is to move.

A metal with a single hook (modified deadly dick, for instance) is fairly weedless. Not much good at night, but good until then.