Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobbyP

How to disassemble a Gold Cup III fly reel.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was wondering if you could answer a question. I have a Gold Cup III reel that I've had for a long time and for the life of me I can't figure out how to take the spool off. It was originally a gift from my dad when I was first starting off fly fishing when I was younger and its held up well over the years, although I don't use it anymore. I lent it to a friend of mine to use when we went to fish the beach yesterday.  Anyway I've taken all the parts off that I can and the spool still won't come off. Its making this extremely annoying squeak since it was used and its driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lines Tight,

Bob

P.S. Caught this 11lb Snook on the Gold Cup yesterdaysmile.gif

11 lb Snook

I am giving this a bump because the Gold Cup is fairly common, not a bad reel, and somebody oughta know.

I suspect the GC of being a Tibor knockoff, and if I'm right, the instructions on the Internet for the disassembly of a Tibor might be a good point of departure.

No trick.

Spool frozen to shaft from years without maintenance.

You can ship back to Bass Pro or maybe soak it in some hot soapy water. If that doesn't work a solvent may be needed. But you may ruin the drag material depending what it is made of.

Looks as though there is also a needle bearing that also may be frozen. Could be why the reel squeaks. You prob need a new bearing.

Thinking about it - you should just bite the bullet and ship it off to Bass and beg them to service it for you.

Herb

EDinFL has iit right for spool to come off frame, and it probably is corroded and needs lubrication. But no one has referenced the removal of the spindle from the spool after you take Ed's advice, which is also necessary for swapping spools. For this you need to undo the nut on the handle side of the spool in the center if the arbor (counter-clockwise, of course). You may need pliers to assist if it has been cranked down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HL View Post

No trick.

Spool frozen to shaft from years without maintenance.

You can ship back to Bass Pro or maybe soak it in some hot soapy water. If that doesn't work a solvent may be needed. But you may ruin the drag material depending what it is made of.

Looks as though there is also a needle bearing that also may be frozen. Could be why the reel squeaks. You prob need a new bearing.

Thinking about it - you should just bite the bullet and ship it off to Bass and beg them to service it for you.

Herb

Yea that's probably it. I haven't really used it for years, just greased it but never took it apart. I like teaching friends that don't know what fly-fishing is like and this is the reel I usually have them use. Its paired with an older Sage FLI 9 weight. I'll try soaking it and see what happens. Thanks Herb.

Lines Tight,

Bob

EDinFL has iit right for spool to come off frame, and it probably is corroded and needs lubrication. But no one has referenced the removal of the spindle from the spool after you take Ed's advice, which is also necessary for swapping spools. For this you need to undo the nut on the handle side of the spool in the center if the arbor (counter-clockwise, of course). You may need pliers to assist if it has been cranked down.

Umm, you need to clean the spectacles there Mully. That was his seventh post :D.

Intra,

The way I interpret the manual that EdinFL posted - good move BTW - is that the reel has a draw bar similar to an old Abel 3N that I used to own and my current Bauers. The spool is removed by undoing the drag knob.

The cap that you are referring to on the spool side is the cap on the draw bar that is not designed to be removed in normal usage.

Bobby - if you are going to go it alone without dealer help I THINK you will have to soak it and apply as much twist-and-pull tension as you can muster. I would not take metallic tools to it because you will deform or mar the frame/spool.

if you want to return the reel to its former self you will have to replace parts that are, most likely, corroded and pitted. and, as I said before, the bearing(s).

A nice project.

Regards,

Herb

Intra,

The way I interpret the manual that EdinFL posted - good move BTW - is that the reel has a draw bar similar to an old Abel 3N that I used to own and my current Bauers. The spool is removed by undoing the drag knob.

The cap that you are referring to on the spool side is the cap on the draw bar that is not designed to be removed in normal usage.

Okay, but unless the spare spool has its own draw bar, it is not possible to swap spools without removing the cap to remove the draw bar. I bought my GCIII used with spare spool, so I don't know if spares come with a drawbar, but it seems odd that they would. Now for just removing the spool for maintenance or switching L/R retrieve, you don't have to remove the cap.