Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stiffed

Stiffed By The Sea Queen VII

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

As a Father's Day present, I bought 4 tickets on the Sea Queen VII out of Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn for my two little kids and my Dad. My grandfather had fished out of Sheepshead Bay for 40 years and I wanted to show my kids their great grandpas old recreation grounds. While the answering machine ( the only thing you'll get when you call) said they always have plenty of room, so "come on down", I went the extra mile and made a reservation. 

On the mourning of the trip, we awoke to huge thunder storms and a forecast for them to continue all day long. Boat advisory was issued as well. I immediately called the Sea Queen number and had another chat with the answering machine. I explained that I had a senior citizen and 2 small boys with me and would like to move our trip to the following afternoon. As we were on the afternoon trip, I urged them to call me if there was any problem but they never did. The Captain later lied and claimed he called, but I have voicemail and call record logging which shows me every call ever made to my phone. He should stick to the fish finder. I called again the next morning and left another message with my friend the answering machine to once again inform that we were coming that afternoon.

The next day, the weather cleared and we headed out for the 90 minute ride to Sheepshead Bay. Along the way, I got a call from the Captain, who told me that would not honor my prepaid reservation. Claimed, he took a few die hards out in the storm and nobody died, so our tickets were redeemed. I communicated to him the situation and he had no positive response to say the least. I pointed out that his machine still says that he has plenty of room and that upon arrival we would be spending additional monies with him for pole rentals, food, beverages etc. Since he had no lost cost and no marginal incremental cost to take us on a Tuesday afternoon, when he agreed he had plenty of space, it made no sense to void our tickets. This valid business argument failed to enlighten him the a) the need to provide good customer service or b) that in today's internet age, a poor review of our experience would not be good for his business either. He then hung up on me. Since then, I've been reading the other reviews on this ship posted on Striper's Online and other sites and seems others have had poor experiences to say the least. My recommendation, a) avoid this boat b) buy your tickets at the door. 

Further, we ended up going out with Captain Lou, out of Freeport Long Island. He had a great boat, helpful mates and we all had a great time. Of course I had to buy new tickets due to the Sea Queen's lack of service. Captain Lou's team was great and the day was saved. Bottom line, go see Captain Lou in Freeport and avoid at all costs the Sea Queen VII.

Avoid Sheepshead Bay like the plague! Years ago it was ok but still catered to it's regular so called hard assed clientle! The Brooklyn boys used to come to Freeport years ago on the Starstream in the heyday when Richie K was running the boat and scurry around putting poles all around the boat and if you pulled up a fish they would try to jump into your spot trying to mug you! Being a big muscular Penn State football player none of then messed with me or would I let them! There only tuff in numbers! Stick to Freeport on the Lou or Pt.Lookout on the Super Hawk! Great Capts,mates and service with no attitude? Nothing better then taking your sons fishing with your dad! Great first post! Now tell a joke about Sheepshead Bay! Lol

I worked on party and charter boats for many years. What the capt. did to you was a bad move. Non of the guys I ever worked for on open/party boats would have done that in the situation you described. If it were a nice day and you just no showed, maybe..... But even still if it were a nice day im sure there would have been people on the dock willing o take those spots.

talkin about dik capies   once a me and a pall booked and sent the money to the hellen h  and they stayed in main to whale watch that weekend and sent our money back  we both took time off

work for that trip that was laime in my book

As far as Sheepshead Bay goes, the Marilyn Jean has always given me good service. The crew is incredibly friendly and helpful, even when I tell them I don't require any help.

This has been my experience on blackfishing and cod fishing trips, as well as a couple of striper outings. I have always had the same crew. The others may be different. But from my experience it has been good.

Just putting it out there, to voice my opinion that not all boats there in SHB are bad.

(*edited - please don't post other websites here - thanks. TimS)

I dont know what it is these days......Years ago all captains, mates, tackle shop owners, rod builders, were all stand up people. Today is so differant! So many people have attitudes and things are:mad: simply not the same anymore!

Those sites suck :) If this would have been posted on either of those sites and the Sea Queen was a paying sponsor this thread would have would have lasted about 1 minute before being deleted even if posted by a long time contributing member.

Those sites suck :) If this would have been posted on either of those sites and the Sea Queen was a paying sponsor this thread would have would have lasted about 1 minute before being deleted even if posted by a long time contributing member.

You are absolutely right, I once posted a fair and balanced report on another forum after a great two day trip out of Gloucester, all comments critical of the bait and one of the mates was deleted from my post!!! I also got a phone call from one of the moderators!!! There are only a few fishing forums where honest and fair criticism can be heard, this is one of them!!

You are absolutely right, I once posted a fair and balanced report on another forum after a great two day trip out of Gloucester, all comments critical of the bait and one of the mates was deleted from my post!!! I also got a phone call from one of the moderators!!! There are only a few fishing forums where honest and fair criticism can be heard, this is one of them!!

Sure is... I've been a member of most and this is definitely the best.