son of neptune

Penn 525 mag line capacities /braid & mono

6 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a 525 Mag conventional reel-The box states that it holds 240yards(?) 15lbs mono. I was wondering what the capacity would be  for 17lbs

Second question: Are these reels braid friendly?? or maybe should I ask  whether braids friendly to the reel? My guess is yes but wanted tobe sure.

I  test cast the reel today with the line that was already spooled 14 lbs but not sure ,I would like to go up a weight to 17lbs using either mono or braid (I am old school & prefer mono if capacity is not a big of an issue. I plan to surf fish with it from the sand.Thanks!

Yes the 525MAG is braid friendly, as far as mono capacity, we do not advertise for 17lb mono. However looking at the numbers you can estimate. 525MAG will hold 240yds of 15lb mono, and 170 yds of 20lb mono so you should expect 17lb mono to be around 200yds.

tony

A 525mag spooled with 17lb mono will have enough line to allow one medium sized "professional over-run," and still have enough line left to fish with, even with the longest casts being made.

I've gone as high as 20lb mono and as low as 10lb mono with the 525MAG.  I'm old school too, and prefer using mono to braid because it is very forgiving.  I practice long distance casting on a large field, and I can cast all of 15lb mono off the spool.  

I only used braided lines for bottom fishing.  Plus, braid is too expensive to risk getting a wind knot in it during a cast.  The 525MAG is a nice reel, beware of the Chinese version though...it looks pretty but it's not the same. 

When figuring capacity, you have to look at the size of the line not the pound test rating. The capacity for the 525 is 275 yards mono using a size of .016 inches.  That is equal to the size of 17 lb suffix tritanium and 16 lb pro spec chrome mono.  I have used 525's for years 8nbait fishing with those 2 mono lines, line capacity has never been an issue.