Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

lami 132 1L for Pencils???

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Guys,

I know this rod is awesome, I have two on order. but my question is this... recently a bud showed me this rod with big heavy guides (pac bay 70, etc) and the rod felt and acted more "flimsy" (for lack of a better word) just like an s-glass. I know it would work REALLY well for pencil poppers.

but my question is who uses this and what other advantages/disadvantages are there???

better feel? more parabolic??

tx,

BC

My main squeeze is the 132 1L conventional I made last year smile.gif You can work pencils with it pretty well and even use for Tog wink.gif

If I had the cash, I'd build a matching spinner.

gad

Hi BC,

I use it as my primary plug rod and it works pencils just fine. I actually chose the "L" over the "M" for that reason. I didn't build it the way you described but used a 40HH lower guide. I think it's a pretty flexible blank. I regularly use it for 1-3 ounces but have also thrown 4 with it.

Dave,

A well known LI surf builder uses the monster Pac Bays, especially on the 1321Ms. I've heard that he does it to help let the rod load a bit easier and it might work a bit too, but it's really not the best way to get what you want.

A blank with no weight added is in it's truest, most efficient form. The more weight you add with guides,wraps and epoxy, especially towards the tip, the more you slow it down. Actually, while the rod feels like a slower action rod than it is, the effect of heavy guides has actually just taken away the efficiency by which the rod will recoil and robs a little sensitivity.

What you wind up with is a rod that feels a bit mushy and doesn't recoil well. Did you ever feel a rod that gives a shake after you release, that's not a good thing. Upon release, a rods job is to unload and recoil to standing position. The better the recoil, the better the energy transfer or more efficient the rod.

As a rule of thumb, try to use as light and small a guide as you can without sacrificing the other things you need a rod to do. On a surf rod, I don't use anything smaller than a 16 for knot passage and/or accidental swivel in the tip.

Buy a blank with the right action to start and add as little weight as possibble, keeping it as true to it's action as possible.