Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seadogs1

Nice looking AM tides this weekend

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

This am (6/21) started off a little slow as I hit my usual haunts just South of Portland. The end of the outgoing tide didnt produce at all. With fair seas and light winds I made the call to continue south. Once around Prouts a large amount of working birds clued me into many acres of mackerel rippling the surface with "nervous water". After quickly blacking out the live well my anglers had decent success landing 8 nice bass to 36" on the incoming tide. The bite was on in several locations until the hot sun made its way high in the sky around 10am. While fishing wasnt fast and furious like earlier in the week, we enjoyed a slow pick of hard fighting fish including two that will make great dinner at 25 & 3/4".

Was planning on offshore tomorrow, but the afternoon weather looks like T-storms so may try for a repeat of today. The fish are here so put your time in and stick with what works for you. As usual, low light scenarios will be the most successful.

NIce to hear from you Rob. I moved down to the pine point launch this season. Feel like a newbie but getting some fish, plenty of bait as you said ( almost to much) but what the hay. Ventured down to that spot we talked about last year but thoght better of it . Hope to see ya on on the pond

Mike, how have you been? Good to read that your still kicking...lol

Yeah, I know, once I get into the big girls, I'll post something up, so you can

View upon what your missing out on.

Been slow for me lately. Got the skunk a couple times in the last week or so but on other occasions have picked up a few smaller bass. I was doing better right after the rain as opposed to now that the water has cleared up :confused:. On another note, I believe Rob will soon show the fruits of his labor from this AM. Stayed tuned...

It was slow for me yesterday AM. Took over an hour to get 10 macs in the livewell and I was using chum! Once we got on a spot that had been producing within the last week, we found no fish and no sand eels that had been there the the last time. Not sure if the heat pushed them out for a day or two but I will find out tomorrow.

JPA

Hitting the drop tonight in the early hours. I've been hard pressed to find a willing striper of any sort lately. Hoping this 9.6 tide might stir things a bit !?!:confused:

6/22 - Friday was painfully slow day of fishing offshore. Managed 2 keeper cod while sitting on the anchor ball for 4 hours with many, many short cod coming up from the deep. Fished NW Tantas and Boomerang with no signs of Charlie on the surface or the sonar. On the way home found the many acres of mackerel that has pushed into the Eagle Island area. Filled the live well and hit the honey hole with dismal success - one 28" bass. i dont know what has been going on with my favorite and typically very productive spot but it is not fishing the same as it was before the rains a few weeks back.

6/23 - Saturday - with fair winds and calm seas made the run to a large river south of Portland very quickly. Didn't have to stop for bait as the leftovers from yesterday where still live and kicking in the baitpen. As the tide dropped the action picked up and my self and my angler worked a slow pick of 30" big shouldered bass. As slack tide approached the bite died out and we re-upped on bait near Eagle Island as the bait that has been there the last 3 days is still holding in the area. Checked in a Pine Point an hour into the incoming and found working birds and a large school of bass feeding on the surface. Scored another handful of nice bass this time all just above the slot limit. Many boats showed up on the madness, with several running right up on the fish putting them down and quieting the bite. Once they didn't catch they moved on and guess what? The fish came back! We enjoyed continued action alongside the Kristin K for another half hour. As 10:00a rolled around we started the steam to port with a thick fog and overcast sky blocking the sun from view. With prime low light conditions we made one last stop on the ride home at a spot that I have driven by countless times without bothering to stop and give it a try. The decision to check it out proved wise - 30 second into the first drift my last three days of putting my time in paid off - BIG! After a 10 minute battle which included getting hung up on a lobster pot buoy and nearly getting spooled I landed my largest fish of the year thus far - 45" and 31lbs. I gotta give credit to my buddy Adam T for expertly handling the boat so i could change the angle on the fish and come off the trap line - get out there boys, the cows have arrived for sure!